• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Help with AC clutch not engaging.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
I have a 2012 Charger V6. The AC will sometimes work, other times not. When it does work, it is 100% OK. I popped the connector off the AC clutch, and it has 12.5 volts.

So ordered a new clutch figuring the electromagnet is dead. Before I installed it, I connected it to the wring to see what it would do - nothing. If I connect it directly to the battery, it magnetizes. If jumper the old clutch to the battery, it engages too.

So I thought maybe the connector is worn out, but if I probe into it with good electrical connectors, it still won't engage either clutch.

12 volts from the battery works, but 12 volts from the connector doesn't. What gives?

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Its fine, but refrigerant charge shouldn't matter. The body control module is commanding the clutch on and I have also jumpered the relay for testing as well. It should be and is getting 12 volts at the connector.

When connected to the battery, the clutch engages (gets pulled in) even with the key off, engine off. It's independent of the rest of the system.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Found it. A half blown fuse. I assumed the fuse was ok since i had 12 volts at the connector. Wrong.

Thanks for the help!

D587EFF7-D7F5-42C7-8A02-0AAD9602FB5E.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• b4black
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list