v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Hey guys,

My daily is a 2010 Volvo C30 T5 which has been a great car. However, it's age is starting to show, and I'm getting a noise that sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

I got it up in the air and did a shake down on it yesterday. Everything feels tight except for the inner CV which has a little bit of play in all directions. It was my understanding that they should only have small play in and out of the trans and hub. However, I'm not sure if I've actually felt a bad one before.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was the failure. I replaced the original axle about a year ago with this junk piece from RockAuto. (did not fix the issue I was having at that time) The boot was torn and the grease was flung out within a couple weeks. Let me know what you all think. Regardless it's getting replaced. I just need to find a part between $100 Chinese and $500 OEM!

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
The best way to check for a bearing is to swerve from side to side. So, for example, if you suspect it is the left front wheel bearing making the noise, when you turn right it should either get louder or make the same noise, and when you go the opposite direction it should get quiet. The shake doesn't always tell you what you need to know, but that almost always will confirm. I would suggest replacing the axle no matter what, NAPA axles are actually pretty good, but if you have the $$ for OEM, OEM is always the best choice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• v6buicks
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list