3800 Help please with my whipple ax140 engine build

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
We're so screwed....well the l26 shorty will be shortly.....

20230623_085617.jpg

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
I still got the complete cog setup collecting dust in basement..... to bad never worked out right. Alignment issues I guess was causing it to shread belts in 100-200 miles if that long.

Maybe one day revisit it, when I decide I need to hate life more than usual....

But to be honest, the 10 rib setup, gates rpm belt, and tweak to the idler setup and tensioner, pushing 27psi with hardly any slip at all now... holds very steady.

So I can't find a good reason why to go back other than for clout and the sound of it.

Picture doesn't show, but the cog blower pully, whipple snout broke off in it... oops.

361139964_775967990673364_1701684760947731186_n.jpg

361255373_240728325486854_3151823948173973178_n.jpg

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
Sounds like just going to a 10 rib is the way to go.

So far with the RPM belt, man it holds well. With the green back belts, those would stretch horribly bad after just one pass at the track.. enough to where it was basically ruined.

As mentioned in other post, ive had same belt for 4-5 years now... green back 10 rib, replacing all the time, and basically 1 pass per belt.

Regular gates black belt, didn't hold up much better.

The RPM being designed for superchargers, has been a god send.

I don't drive car balls to wall all the time.... but even so, the old green belts would wear out after a few weeks of normal / little spirited driving, not even WOT runs...

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
So far with the RPM belt, man it holds well. With the green back belts, those would stretch horribly bad after just one pass at the track.. enough to where it was basically ruined.

As mentioned in other post, ive had same belt for 4-5 years now... green back 10 rib, replacing all the time, and basically 1 pass per belt.

I don't drive car balls to wall all the time.... but even so, the old green belts would wear out after a few weeks of normal / little spirited driving, not even WOT runs...
Idk why everybody likes those green ones. They're ugly, expensive and they suck on a stock engine. Must be a b00m3r thing like felpro gaskets.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska

I wish they had more variety of sizes. I might need to figure out some kind of adjustable tensioner.

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014

I think might have posted this in other thread, but I had my blower pulley coated in this also.

I thought about having all the metal ones done in this, but never did as things worked out well in the end.

Reactions: GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska

I think might have posted this in other thread, but I had my blower pulley coated in this also.

I thought about having all the metal ones done in this, but never did as things worked out well in the end.
Does it make the pulley rougher?

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
Does it make the pulley rougher?
Yes. It does cause some dusting for a while but seemed the belt settled down on that mess.

I am 5 years now on this one single belt. It has not swiss cheesed it up yet to point I need to replace it. Not frayed or anything. Still looks pretty good.

Still has plenty of grip and virtually no stretch. I am sure it has stretched and lost grip to some degree after all these years....
but I assume its less than 5% of the stretch after all these years than the green back belt after 1 full pass at the track which made it useless.

I did mention, I don't drive like I stole it every time im behind the wheel.... so if you are a lead foot, maybe different results :)

Reactions: GTPpower
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info