3800 Help please with my whipple ax140 engine build

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
When I bought this Whipple kit, it came with lots of extra parts. Some I'll use, most will just get sold.

However, I'm looking for advice on the engine. I know a stock bottom end is likely strong enough, but it is also my opinion that a 500hp supercharged setup is harder on the bottom end than a 800hp turbo setup. With an expensive blower, intercooler, and heads, I would rather not risk it.

I have a set of aluminum heads I'm planning to use, but I'm not sure what headgaskets to go with. ?

As for the bottom end, I have a l32 engine that needs a piston, and probably a hone. My thoughts are to use the stock l32 rods and machine the rods for arp bolts. Bore the block .020" over, align hone the mains, do James' oiling mods, arp main studs, but what about pistons? I have a new set of JE diamond 8.1:1 pistons, but my gut tells me I should really bump the compression since the Whipple produces so much heat.

Lastly, how about the cam? Should I stick with the xpz, or go to thr is3 or is4, or maybe go with something completely different?

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
I agree about a supercharger being harder on the bottom end but I don't think it's as bad as a 500hp/800hp difference, if a supercharged engine needs 20% of its power to drive the supercharger then a 240hp supercharged engine is really making 300hp in the cylinders and 60hp is lost to drive the supercharger. A 500chp supercharged engine is probably making close to 600hp. At least that's the theory, but I know a supercharged engine could make a lot more cylinder pressure down in the low rpms.

If you're still stuck behind a 4t65e there probably isn't much point in going with a stronger than stock L32/L67 engine. If you can get a better trans in there though then I would just spend the couple hundred extra dollars on good rods too and have a pretty bulletproof engine. If the aluminum heads are ported you should be able to get as much out of any cam that want right?

I'm jelly about the aluminum heads haha! Really interested to see what you end up doing

Reactions: GTPpower and sktchy

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I really can't find any decent engines. The best I can find is a 138k mile l32 for $1000 in Minnesota, which is part of the reason

I suppose I could just get a new piston for my l32, but that engine hasn't ran like 12 years, and it's been sitting most of that time uncovered without a head on one bank.

Reactions: v6buicks

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Well, I'm pretty sure it's a 140. I think.

20230117_094903.jpg

20230117_094836.jpg

20230117_094856.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
It sounds like you have no intentions of skimping at the machine shop, so I'm sure any way you choose will work fine. If I ever trash my L36, I'd probably have it rebuilt with nice rods and higher compression pistons as well. It sucks that the good cheap pullouts are getting to be such a gamble. The other option I consider is buying an entire running but rusty GTP to part out.

Reactions: sktchy

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
It sounds like you have no intentions of skimping at the machine shop, so I'm sure any way you choose will work fine. If I ever trash my L36, I'd probably have it rebuilt with nice rods and higher compression pistons as well. It sucks that the good cheap pullouts are getting to be such a gamble. The other option I consider is buying an entire running but rusty GTP to part out.

Yeah, it sucks. I've bought a lot of good low mile supercharged engines over the years, but it's been a few years since I have seen a good deal on one. And they all have super high miles anymore.

Reactions: sktchy and v6buicks

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
What the hell is wrong with this app? My phone keeps messing with the placement of text and moving it around?
Install Google keyboard or turn your grammarly extension bs off. Just went through this yesterday.

Also it sucks that most of the pullouts aren't worth a shit so if you trust your engine guy then that route is probably best.

Reactions: GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Install Google keyboard or turn your grammarly extension bs off. Just went through this yesterday.

Also it sucks that most of the pullouts aren't worth a shit so if you trust your engine guy then that route is probably best.
Well, I'll try turning it off for this app and see how that works. So far so good. Thanks!

Reactions: sktchy
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info