Help needed: 2000 Taurass DOHC

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Well my friend Sarah has been having all sorts of issues with this car. She has replaced the IAC and TPS but still has intermitent running issues. And has a lot of codes. She's been getting terrible mileage and the car wants to die periodically. the codes that are on it are...

P1120
P0122
P1121
P0190
P0191
P1237
P0422

Anyone know anything about this? I've been googling like crazy but havent found anything yet that is just like hers. I know these cars are POS but it has to last her for a little while. Any help is appreciated

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
RICH17 said:
Anyone know anything about this? I've been googling like crazy but havent found anything yet that is just like hers. I know these cars are POS but it has to last her for a little while. Any help is appreciated

Aaaaaand now I don't want to help.....

The DOHC taurus motor is a Duratech family motor, and is an extremely smooth and typically well built motor.

The issues that generation of Taurii are known for are:
Cracking springs
Subframe bushings
Fairly weak Transmissions

Not really known for a slew of motor issues. How Long has it had issues? Any other recent repairs?

What does each code mean?

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
Only thing I can come up with, you have failures of multiple monitoring systems, my first instinct would be to check the reference voltage going to the MAF, TPS, etc etc, make sure its a healthy 5v. Also, is the signal actually getting to the PCM, or is there a short/broken wire or 3, causing problems for everything else... I think best bet would be to grab a DMM, start checking stuff both at the sensor in question and at the pcm...

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich

The DOHC taurus motor is a Duratech family motor, and is an extremely smooth and typically well built motor.

Cracking springs
Subframe bushings

Not really known for a slew of motor issues. How Long has it had issues? Any other recent repairs?

Haha Sorry Das. I just have a hate/hate relationship with Ford lately. I know these are a good motor when running right. But theres so many sinsors and BS that just pisses me off and makes me love the 3800 even more.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Only thing I can come up with, you have failures of multiple monitoring systems, my first instinct would be to check the reference voltage going to the MAF, TPS, etc etc, make sure its a healthy 5v. Also, is the signal actually getting to the PCM, or is there a short/broken wire or 3, causing problems for everything else... I think best bet would be to grab a DMM, start checking stuff both at the sensor in question and at the pcm...

I know the car sat for a while. And a rodent got into some of the wiring and chewed it up. It was fixed at a "shop" but looking at the work it seems sketchy. I know it throws a TPS code right away after I erase everything so I might have to check the wiring.

Is the engine harness replacable or does it go through the whole car and need alot of cutting and splicing?

And I know the stuff this shop replaced is with the wrong gauge wire. Would that effect the voltage readings enough to have these problems?

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006

Cracking springs
Subframe bushings

You forgot about the excessive rusting.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
I know the car sat for a while. And a rodent got into some of the wiring and chewed it up. It was fixed at a "shop" but looking at the work it seems sketchy. I know it throws a TPS code right away after I erase everything so I might have to check the wiring.

Is the engine harness replacable or does it go through the whole car and need alot of cutting and splicing?

And I know the stuff this shop replaced is with the wrong gauge wire. Would that effect the voltage readings enough to have these problems?

There may be a main junction somewhere for everything in the engine compartment, hit a junkyard, grab a "new" harness, swap it in...

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
There really is a lot of weird stuff going on with this car. The TPS was changed within the last year, but when I was scanning it, at full pedal depression, the scanner was only reading 70% throttle. At least one of the codes above is a TPS code. The other wierd thing about the TPS is that I picked up a new one from NAPA and the notches on the inside of the sensor don't even match up with the key on the end of the valve plate shaft. Not sure WTF is going on there. She swears that it was an animal that got into the engine bay, but it really does look more like the serpentine belt blew and shredded the heat blanket under the hood right above the belt area.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
P0122 - Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input

P0190 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction

P0191 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

P0422 - Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

P1120 - Throttle Position Sensor out of range

P1121 - Throttle Position Sensor Inconsistent with Mass Air Flow Sensor

P1237 - Fuel Pump Secondary circuit fault

P1120 and P1121 would be explained by the 70% at full throttle. Maybe low input (code 0122) is causing low output??

I should also mention that I verified the TPS 70% max output with a screwdriver in the back of the sensor, so its not an issue that the pedal isn't getting full depression.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info