• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Help, need winter prep!

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
The past 4 years I have driven the Marauder in the winter. This year I noticed rust on the inside of my drivers door. I am not concerned about the body, because I can always get another paint job. My concern is the frame. Is there anything I can do to prep the frame for another season? I washed it everyday and sometimes twice a day last winter (seriously) and even with all of that it still started rusting.

My solution is to buy a junker and use it all winter and store the car. I just wanted to know if there is a way to prep the car. A winter car would be nice, but I know mine inside and out. With another car I never know how well the last owner took care of it and I need a car that can make long road trips, sometimes 1,000 miles a day. I know the Marauder can do it, not sure about a $1,500 car or van.

Can anything be done? Does rust proof actually do anything?

massacre

Regular
May 25, 2011
I have used POR-15 on my frame. It is time consuming to apply, since you have to use the degreaser and then the metal prep, but it sticks real good and hardens up nicely(Casey lol?). Just don't get it on your skin, because only time will get it off. Seriously. even gasoline won't take it off. But overall I am happy with the way it came out.

I found a kit online, came with the two bottles of the prep chemicals, and then a can of the chassis black POR-15. Maybe 40? dollars....

BTW buy the cheap disposable paintbrushes, you won't be cleaning and re-using them, they will need to be thrown away after.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Seriously takes some time if you do it right. I have about 30 hours into my trucks frame and all i did was under the bed and near the engine bay. Planned on doing the whole thing but god damn its a lot of work. Mine had the factory undercoating so a lot of time was spent just stripping what was left of that off, then cleaning, then etching, then 2 coats of por15.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Seriously takes some time if you do it right. I have about 30 hours into my trucks frame and all i did was under the bed and near the engine bay. Planned on doing the whole thing but god damn its a lot of work. Mine had the factory undercoating so a lot of time was spent just stripping what was left of that off, then cleaning, then etching, then 2 coats of por15.

Did you do the floor pans as well or just the frame?

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Zack, just because I have done something doesn't mean I will tell you everything I do. I took care of the rust last week, you can see it tomorrow.

Is there someone that does this work professionally or is this all kinda our little secret.

If you did the door with POR-15 then you would have the instructions and any other info on the label....which would deem this thread completely unnecessary. Lol

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
I did the frame, rear axle, and bottom of the bed. I had it off to do a fuel pump and it turned into a week long project. Now my bedside are rusting out at the top of the wheels wells though so i am saving up for some fiberglass prerunner style bedsides and a long-travel suspension kit...but the front sus i want runs like $3500 so its gunna be a while before anything happens. In the meantime my truck is disintegrating...fml

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Buy a cheap beater to run around town. That'll alleviate the majority of the exposure Dom. 99% of the time highways are clean/clear for your road trips.

The brine solution they're using around here is absolute murder on stuff. I've seen 3-4 year old trucks rotting.

SC Cheesehead

God Speed Blues Brother
Oct 18, 2009
Buy a cheap beater to run around town. That'll alleviate the majority of the exposure Dom. 99% of the time highways are clean/clear for your road trips.

The brine solution they're using around here is absolute murder on stuff. I've seen 3-4 year old trucks rotting.

Definitely one of the things I do NOT miss about the Midwest.

+2 on the winter beater.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info