help me, vac leak. (attn: Vogel/James)

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
ive been working on my moms car for 2 days now...

i did LIM gaskets... and a new upper intake manifold gasket...

i have a vac leak.

when i spray carb cleaner at the throttle body area, around the egr tube, the car bogs even more and dies occasionally. ive taken it apart and put it back together about 4 times now today alone.

the one thing i am thinking... that i havent played with yet... is the egr tube...

is the egr tube supposed to protrude all the way down into the lower intake manifold... or is it supposed to stop at the gasket...

thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Up through the TB?? On my old GT the tube went into the LIM just under the TB. I had a hard time with my EGR after the headers so I just removed it and blocked it off. I know the tube is supposed to go inside the the worthless plastic piece bolts onto the LIM.

L36/67 LIM gaskets fail anywhere between 50-70K miles. In 04 when they did the L32/26 upgrades, they got metal gaskets that seem alot better then their predecessors. I hope thats what you used KJ.

Now that I think of it, my old GT had 142K on the clock and I never did LIM gaskets. LOL.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Up through the TB?? On my old GT the tube went into the LIM just under the TB. I had a hard time with my EGR after the headers so I just removed it and blocked it off. I know the tube is supposed to go inside the the worthless plastic piece bolts onto the LIM.

L36/67 LIM gaskets fail anywhere between 50-70K miles. In 04 when they did the L32/26 upgrades, they got metal gaskets that seem alot better then their predecessors. I hope thats what you used KJ.

Now that I think of it, my old GT had 142K on the clock and I never did LIM gaskets. LOL.

i was saying more as a direction than actual path... for the flow..

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I can almost guarantee it's the EGR tube. They get pretty brittle after time, and r&r'ing the LIM gaskets means you had to disturb it. Sometimes you can grab around the tube itself to hear a leak. At least to rule it out try plugging the EGR hole where the tube goes in at the LIM. It's a cheap enough part that it's not too bad to replace.

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
If you changed the gaskets, Im with vogel. Those tubes cant last forever, The joints are probably leaking. If it was a solid tube there really wouldnt be any problems but because its flexible and can move it id just one more thing to break. I just looked on Carquest and Napa and neither one of them carry the tube itself.

The gaskets notoriously fail, So much that we stock them for the Three point one, Four and Eight.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
well... finally i just said eff it... and went to autozone... and picked up an entire new upper intake plenum because i figured this one just had to be warped or something goofy weird or some shit...

annnd... new one game with new gasket, new pcv stuff, new brake booster connector doohicky new throttle body gasket rubber thing new injector o rings new egr tube thing... basically a whole buncha stuff...

and i drove it back to my moms 20 minutes ago! thank goodness that is over.

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
well... finally i just said eff it... and went to autozone... and picked up an entire new upper intake plenum because i figured this one just had to be warped or something goofy weird or some shit...

annnd... new one game with new gasket, new pcv stuff, new brake booster connector doohicky new throttle body gasket rubber thing new injector o rings new egr tube thing... basically a whole buncha stuff...

and i drove it back to my moms 20 minutes ago! thank goodness that is over.

SO I guess it was the manifold?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Thats the thing. I saw alot of problems the L36 had, I changed almost nothing cause it didnt need to be. LOL. The LIM gaskets are stock. Plenum is stock. Alternator stock. Water pump stock. Trans stock. Had 142K on the clock when I saw her leave.

I think Dan should send the car to GM and say "HEY!! Make cars like this one." Then again, no more 3800. :(

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
You had some good luck with your GT!!! with only 61k I've already done the alternator, lim gasket, and plenum. I'm waiting for the trans to grenade so I can still catch it under the warranty!!

I know alot of people change alternators right away when they buy a used car. They are a real joker. Never know when they will be played out. My GT was still kicking at 142K. My friends GTP had a stock alternator go at 118K. Ive seen alternators go at 30K. Its all in the luck of the dice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info