Help me get poorer!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I need help. I love the Q but I'm ready to move onto something a little up the ladder. I need TCG's help picking a car. Here are my choices and what I do/ don't like about them:

2002+ BMW 745I/ LI

Pros: I like the way it looks, massaging seats, pretty much any bell or whistle you want.

Cons: Apparently they're atrociously unreliable. This was the first year for the throttlebody-less engine.

2004+ BMW 545i

Pros: Available with the SMG transmission or a true 6 speed, little sportier than the 745i, more modern than the 745

Cons: Less features than the 745, cheaper looking interior, most don't have nav (don't know why), little more expensive than the 745i.

2004+ Audi A8/ A8L

Pros: AWD, Great Power, semi-reliable powertrain, Aluminum body/ frame will not rust, ultra-modern interior, AWD

Cons: I'm not sure I can find any...

I was really hell bent on getting the 745 originally and was considering the the 5 series because they were smaller and sportier with the same amount of power. I'm really a fan of the luxo-barge though and the Grand Prix is my fun car so I'd prefer to stay large so I started looking at the Audis too. The A8 is really growing on me.

Make up my mind.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Vote #2 for a S4. Parked next to a silver one in South Carolina about a month ago and immediately got hard. True story.
Something something electrical problems......

I'd get the A8 out of those choices. Then you can shave your head and wear a really nice suit. Who knows....maybe it'll come with an ugly Russian chick in the trunk :dunno:

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
a8LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

get my point?

tryin to convince my old man to get one now. status symbol ftmfw.

screw bmw...especially m3s bought after trading in a sexy black ss.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Part of the reason you can pic up the big German cars so cheap is because they're typically uber-expensive to repair; air suspension, electronics and all the higher-end features tend to break, according to reliability reports I've read. Probably not telling you anything you don't know or aren't prepared to deal with.

As far as driving, those are beyond my time at Cars.com so I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've driven all of their successors. I'd rock the 5 Series, personally. It's more athletic than the 7 Series and has less shit to break as well.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
If you want sport, get the 545i. If you want luxury, get the A8L.

My dad had both of the cars and his favorite was the A8L. It isn't as sporty and fast, but the interior is the best in class. Audi builds amazing interiors!

As an FYI, my dad would have been able to buy his 2005 545i steptronic with 24,000 miles off of lease for 27,XXX in May 2008. The car would have been BMW certified and they were going to put 4 new tires on the car. Not sure what they were going for now, but that was a pretty good deal back then.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Thanks for the opinions guys... I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the A8 now.

The S4 isn't on my radar. I already have a fast, mid sized car that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to maintain. I really want one of the large cars. The only reason the 545 made the cut is because of how awesome of a driver's car it's supposed to be. As far as luxury goes though, it's a little lacking in my opinion. The door panels on the 04+ 5 series look like they belong in a Grand Prix.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Something something electrical problems......

I'd get the A8 out of those choices. Then you can shave your head and wear a really nice suit. Who knows....maybe it'll come with an ugly Russian chick in the trunk :dunno:

I see what you did there. :s00ls:

X2 on the A8, I think it will be a 'timeless' design, Sleak, and professional looking, but not over the top.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
project-kahn-audi-a8-02.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info