Help me find a boat

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
24’+ pontoon with at least a 150 on it. Unless you want a Lake Michigan boat.

/thread

Absolutely best bang for the buck If you’re not looking to be on the big lake or take any water sports seriously.

Best answer thus far.
As someone that's done the go-fast, fishing and bow rider life, just get a pon/tritoon with a 200 I6 Verado, put the Whipple tune on it. It'll run 45-50 with the BBQ going.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Why do people keep linking 100k+ boats lmao. And 40k not going far is depressing. Boats on the backburner for a bit as I see prices are sky high right now. Plus a deal on a truck to pull it fell through anyway.

but I still have a shit ton to learn. I want something for the family but can also have a few friends on. My buddy has a boat that shoots water like a jet ski and he likes it.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
I’m assuming a tritoon is the one with 3 barrel looking things underneath? Why is everyone suggesting this? Guys please, I literally know Jack shit about a boat pretend you’re explaining things to a girl.
Tri-toons are waaaay more stable going through waves and boat traffic. Well worth it.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Wife and I had boats in the past. When she / the kids get an itch now I go rent one for a half day in Indiana .

For around $225 - $250 for a 23 ft pontoon

No boat ownership headaches; purchase, insurance, storage, maintenance, tags, stickers

Just show up w/ a cooler, towels and food.
Done

If I was to buy one, the maybe a pontoon, deck boat or kayaks

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
Wife and I had boats in the past. When she / the kids get an itch now I go rent one for a half day in Indiana .

For around $225 - $250 for a 23 ft pontoon

No boat ownership headaches; purchase, insurance, storage, maintenance, tags, stickers

Just show up w/ a cooler, towels and food.
Done

If I was to buy one, the maybe a pontoon, deck boat or kayaks
Where you renting from? I think I need to rent one a few times before I take the plunge. Pun intended.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I’m assuming a tritoon is the one with 3 barrel looking things underneath? Why is everyone suggesting this? Guys please, I literally know Jack shit about a boat pretend you’re explaining things to a girl.

Yes. Tritoon has three toons.

They typically have larger pontoons than older two pontoon-pontoons.

They will ride much better & quicker than comparable sized pontoons, be more maneuverable, plane out on top of the water, etc.

Is 50 fast enough to pull a ski?

Dude calm down Holy balls. 50mph is more than fast enough to pull a barefoot waterskiier.

Common, recreational, two-ski waterskiier will be pulled around 20-26 mph. Slalom (single) skiing at 30-36. Tubing 18-24. Wakeboarding similar speeds.

The power/acceleration to get the skiier/rider out of the water is the biggest part, not top speed . I've pulled a skiier up in a 90hp deck boat.... Not fun, not typical, but even my danty 115hp tritoon could pull a skiier up without a problem.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Yes. Tritoon has three toons.

They typically have larger pontoons than older two pontoon-pontoons.

They will ride much better & quicker than comparable sized pontoons, be more maneuverable, plane out on top of the water, etc.

Dude calm down Holy balls. 50mph is more than fast enough to pull a barefoot waterskiier.

Common, recreational, two-ski waterskiier will be pulled around 20-26 mph. Slalom (single) skiing at 30-36. Tubing 18-24. Wakeboarding similar speeds.

The power/acceleration to get the skiier/rider out of the water is the biggest part, not top speed . I've pulled a skiier up in a 90hp deck boat.... Not fun, not typical, but even my danty 115hp tritoon could pull a skiier up without a problem.
I’ve pulled wake boarders behind my toon, I’m sure it was a lot harder for them than behind a boat though since it’s so slow and has no balls lol

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I think one has to weigh how often the boat will be used, including when life goes back to normally (weekends get busy again w/ bullshit).

Then take the total cost of annual ownership of a boat vs annual cost of renting boats.

Both get you on the water, which makes more sense for you financially, time spent a on maintenance, odds n ends, etc.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I think one has to weigh how often the boat will be used, including when life goes back to normally (weekends get busy again w/ bullshit).

Then take the total cost of annual ownership of a boat vs annual cost of renting boats.

Both get you on the water, which makes more sense for you financially, time spent a on maintenance, odds n ends, etc.

Fo sho

As I've said elsewhere, boating needs to be easy af...

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
About 98% of my boating is on Lake Michigan and I have only had cabin cruisers (have lower cabin with bed, kitchen and bathroom) from 30 footers to now a 24'. They all typically have downstairs with a bathroom with toilet and sink with handheld shower wand, 2 sleeping areas (large in front smaller in rear), kitchen with microwave, sink, 2 burner stove, dorm sized refrigerator that operates on 120v and 12v and on larger boats a separate dining area. My larger boat had twin engines, generators, thermostatically controlled heat/ac, central vac system and radar (for fog or night). My 24' is just the basics and is more for economical use and ease of storage and transportation since I have a trailer.

When I had a 28' cabin cruiser I would go out when the 35-40' cruisers were coming in. I practically lived on the water back then and had comfort in rough conditions. It is about personal comfort and risk. When the lake is bad you won't see ANY recreational boats. When I would park on Lake for Air Show you would see everything from huge yachts to people on kayaks and everything in between so minimal size is arbitrary or in most cases budget limiting.

I would suggest you figure out your intended use and go to a few boat dealers and walk around and look what different boat lay outs are like. There so many different types of boats such as bow riders (seats up front no lower cabin), go fast boats, cabin cruisers, center console boats, pontoons and others for different uses.

I have heard that the Coast Guard free safety course is good and qualifies for insurance discount at most insurers.

Also if you go on the Lake get a Boat US boat towing membership. If you need 1 tow it will pay for your dues for years. I once had a 29' towed for $1800 done for free because of my $80 annual membership.

West Marine or Overtons are the retailers many use for purchases although now everything is available online but at West Marine you can see/touch it and talk to knowledgeable sales people. Last time I talked to one of their staff he told me he sailed around the world twice in a 24' sail boat.

I’ve been on Lake Michigan once. It was fun and if at least like the option to go there. Is there a minimum length?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info