Help Jack find a car for his kid

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I still vote m235. Stick an OBDII unit in there with GPS data and you can monitor speeds on roads compared to the posted speed limit. The kid deserves some trust that he’ll abide by the laws, but the additional parental oversight on a nice car like that wouldn’t be a bad thing either.

We all have been told what to do or not do by our parents, and we made our own decisions anyway, and sometimes learned from those choices in the form of consequences.

M235 or bust.

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
Easy. My vote goes for a 2014+ Lexus is350 all day.

They look great (especially if you swing for an F sport), the V6 engine is peppy and fun to drive without being too much and they are dead reliable and cheap to maintain.

They also have a decent aftermarket if he decides he wants to go that route. Insurance will be cheap because Lexus sedan and it likely won’t depreciate more than it already has.

Reactions: Flyn

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
Is there any overlap between what he’s interested in, and what you’re open to?

I'm pretty lenient, I've had "fun" cars since getting my driver's license.
He's a responsible kid, a million times more responsible than I was at his age.

He wants something fun and sporty, that looks good...
in the end, he'll take what I give him, so there's that

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

I bought an ex-girlfriend one (used) when she wasn’t an ex. Copper Red. Fun car, not too much power. But also not too visible on the road with all the trucks and SUVs.

So, what about one of Toybaru twins? BRZ or GT86? Could even teach him to drive a 6spd if he isn’t already familiar.

Edit: just saw the AWD pop up as I posted.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
M235 is a riot of a car if you go that way. For something a little bigger (among similar era vehicles, weight and size are generally better for crashworthiness), perhaps an X3 xDrive35 with M Sport package. Similar mod-ability to tinker with, higher seating position, more usability and still relative fun (versus other lux compact SUVs).

Reactions: IDAFC21

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Jack could buy 6 Camrys for what I paid for mine. Kid could almost have one for every day of the week.

Don't buy silver, though. Amy had ours at Fed Ex, came out of the store and got in the wrong Camry. She realized it and then had to explain to the owner who was also coming out of Fed Ex. He understood. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Blood on Blood

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info