Helmets / Communications Systems

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
When with a group of riders, how do you communicate?

Any ATV/UTV/Snowmobile riders wear helmets that allow communications systems?

Any helmet work? Suggested communications systems?

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
I was just looking this up the other week. Most of the systems I found were for one vehicle only, not sure if they make ones for entire parties to communicate.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
We need these for TCG Tour

PANDA

Reaction score
I had some things in the 90's for snowmobiling. They worked like shit. Better stuff has to be around now.

Intel

Reaction score
Those intercom systems are for person to person on the same vehicle or if you were say in a rally car.

If you want vehicle to vehicle communications you get into using radios and PTT setups that can be installed in your helmet. Rugged radios is great stuff a couple of other crapcan teams use them without issue. In the end they are baofeng uv-85 radios that are painted blue and helmet kits.

We started using the midland radio kits with the motorcycle setups but found the midland radios to be way too quiet and the harness was way too fragile. I would at least go Motorola if you want to go this route. Also Midland radios are not easily compatible with better Nascar or IMSA style harnesses that are made out there due to the odd way they do things.

Our crapcan team uses baofeng radios from Amazon, a nerdie racing harness that has PTT on the steering wheel. And each of our drivers then has a nascar style helmet kit which can hook into it. The downside of the baofengs is they aren't as easy to setup as you can't just punch in the 01-01 like you would on a Motorola setup and technically they are illegal to use in some bands if you don't have a license as the radios are more powerful then the family band ones.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-82HP-High-Power-Radio/dp/B00Z52HP10/ref=dp_ob_title_wld
Nerdie Racing

I know this is all road racing info but I hope it translates as it seems like the same idea.

RedBeard

Formerly ScreamingMach46
Reaction score
On the motorcycle I use a Sena SMH10 on my Shoei helmet. It doesn't have the best range but it's the cheaper version, the better ones have more range.

RedBeard

Formerly ScreamingMach46
Reaction score
Clamps to the side of the helmet and the microphone is routed to the front and stuck to the inside of the helmet. They offer a boom mic for open face helmets as well.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Reaction score
SMH10 used for bikes, sleds and ATV's. I kinda want to upgrade to their newer systems but I've been using the SMH-10 for about 4yrs. Music sounds pretty good through it too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom