Heet in E85?

crooks

Donating Member
Reaction score
Filled my tank up with e85 3min later check engine came on. Code is p2269 I think. Whatever the number its for water in fuel. Can I use heet with e85?
14 GM 1500 tank was less then an 1/8 and was e85. New e85 was from a different station.

serb82

Reaction score
I think they make a water remover heet type fluid for e85, I know they also make stabil for e85 fuel

b4black

Reaction score
E85 is mostly ethanol. Adding a few more ounces of Heet (which is either methanol or isopropanol) won't do anything.

E85 can absrob a lot of water before the fuel seperates. The ethanol and water mix together and the gasoline portion of E85 separates out and floats on top of the water/ethanol layer.

If this happens, the car won't start when cold. The gasoline is there to give the E85 vapor pressure. If the car is starting and running OK, then I suspect there is another problem going on. Maybe the Flex Fuel Sensor is bad.

If you did actaully get wet E85, then its likely that others are the same station did as well. If it were me, I would pump some fuel out of the engine's fuel rail into a glass jar and look at it. If it's hazy or separates into two layers, it's wet. I'd also buy another gallon from the station and look at it. Then I would talk to the station manager and see if anyone else complained. With the heavy rain we recently had, it's very possible that water made it's way into the underground staorage tank.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Reaction score
If you did actaully get wet E85, then its likely that others are the same station did as well. If it were me, I would pump some fuel out of the engine's fuel rail into a glass jar and look at it. If it's hazy or separates into two layers, it's wet. I'd also buy another gallon from the station and look at it. Then I would talk to the station manager and see if anyone else complained. With the heavy rain we recently had, it's very possible that water made it's way into the underground staorage tank.
qft :bigthumb:

crooks

Donating Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
The truck always cranks a little longer on e85. The truck starts and runs fine. I filled up at the shell on Randall by I90. I thought right by the highway the pump would get use but maybe not. I usually use the speedway on rt31 and rt72.

crooks

Donating Member
Reaction score
The sensor was bad and just got replaced.

crooks

Donating Member
Reaction score
So I got in the truck and the check engine is still on. I drove right back into the service bay. They say that the sensor is reading 100% alcohol not e85 or 85% and I have about 24 gallons in the tank. They think the light will go off after I burn through this tank and put some regular gas in it and sent me on my way.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I've had some pretty hot e85 but never that hot, I've seen 94% tested with my e85 tester

crooks

Donating Member
Reaction score
I will do that. I went back to get another gallon and they told me the e85 tank was filled this morning. Then he said e85 gets refilled every 24 hours and the regular tanks get filled every 8.

b4black

Reaction score
There is a problem using the field testers. They extract the ethanol from the flex fuel with either water or glycol. If the flex fuel is already wet, it will extract that water as well and show it as ethanol.

Ethanol is allowed to have 1% water before blending. I believe E85 can hold up to 15% before the gasoline floats out. If you get any results that higher than expected, it can be wet flex fuel.

That water will also mess with the flex fuel sensor. But the O2 sensor show still be able to control the engine just fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom