Heater core flush without garden hose?

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Looking for alternative ways to flush the heater core on an 01 Jeep Cherokee without a garden hose. Blend doors are working, thermostat is new and water temp is good but the heater core is cold, hoses are hot.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Agreed. It's my brother-in-law's car and he recently changed the thermostat and added coolant. Once I get under the hood I'll re-bleed the system. He says both heater core hoses are hot, which doesn't make the most sense because one should be colder if the core is clogged, right? I'll get my infrared thermometer out there and check the temps of the hoses.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
I got one of those out by running it on a hill, nose high, so the heater core is lower in the system.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Sweet. Will give that a shot first.

GoldPanther

Ford Love
Donating Member
Reaction score
are you super sure that the actuator is fully functioning? There has been cases where people improperly install the thermostats facing the wrong way, this will cause slightly overheating and no heat inside. Now, I don't know how this thermostat looks so I don't know if it fits both ways.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
A hole was cut in the heater box to verify the blend door and actuator's operation. While inside, the heater core was cold even though the car was warmed up. The underhood hoses are all warm and the temp gauge reads normal operating temperature but I'm gonna get a temp reading from under the hood. I guess one of the core hoses was slightly cooler than the other. The car can get an occasional burst of heat but it's mostly cold.

GoldPanther

Ford Love
Donating Member
Reaction score
You really have to check or bleed the antifreeze sys. If this didn't happen before he replaced the thermostat then more likely there's a lot of air in there.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
That's the plan :bigthumb: And will also probably clear out the heater core anyway just because it's a common problem.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Clogged heater core was the issue. Got heat! Good, because when they get a new car in spring I'm calling dibs on this rig.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom