• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Heads Up for Reichard Racing tensioner users

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
For those of you using a Reichard Racing tensioner, some inspection might be in order.
There have been several reported failures of the pulley on the tensioner. The inner bore of the pulley becomes wallowed out because the outer race of the bearing begins to spin in the bore. There is no fixing this, once the bearing begins to spin. This occurs because the bearing is held in place by a snap ring only. It, the bearing, is not locked into the bore to prevent rotation.

So, in an effort to prevent this type of failure, Doug from BilletFlow has devised a method to prevent this failure or at least prevent the bearing from spinning in the bore.

The pictures below show the modified pulley which should prevent this type of failure.
The screws were added and the snap ring deleted by Doug to lock the bearing into the bore.

You can contact Doug at BilletFlow for more information.
BilletFlow
Replacement pulleys are also available from RR for those of you that find that your pulley is beyond repair.

Please keep in mind that these seem to be only isolated failures and may not affect everyone, but since the bearing mounting method is the same on all the pulleys, the potential exists for failure. The amount of tension applied to the belt may also be a contributing factor.

Dan

Attachments

• Image5b.jpg
    Image5b.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 314
  • Image7a.jpg
    Image7a.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 316

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Like you said Dana, I've had two fail already. At 50+ dollars each, that gets expensive. The modification Doug did to mine (same as yours, pictured) looks awesome and I expect it will be a LONG time before that ever fails.

Great job again by Doug and Billetflow. :headbang:

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Dan,

I had this happen at the LDC/RWTD event. I also had a problem where one day, I wanted to take the belt off and somehow the Bolt froze into the Heil-coil. After all of that I sent it back to lethal.

Right now im running a FOMoCo Stocker...Works great and it's only $55 not $355...No slip eaither..I'm done with ANYTHING from RR....

Kevin

FYI, good fix for that pulley..!

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Like you said Dana, I've had two fail already. At 50+ dollars each, that gets expensive. The modification Doug did to mine (same as yours, pictured) looks awesome and I expect it will be a LONG time before that ever fails.

Great job again by Doug and Billetflow. :headbang:

Just get the billetflow's they look better anyway. Plus their quality is superior to anyone else.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
back from the dead....

i just bought a RR tensioner and I was wondering if billetflow still sells this...

I bought it used so what should I look at when i get it?

how can you tell if its going bad?

oh and whats the difference between the spring assist and the normal one?

thanks

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
I have the Billetflow modified pulley on mine (the prototype I believe). Works great. I had one RR tensioner pulley fail and my 2nd one was on its way out. So far so good with the Billetflow modified unit.

I'm not sure Doug ever offered these as a mass produced item, seems like he just did them upon request. :dunno:

It's a very nice piece after his modifications. :biggthump

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
I have the Billetflow modified pulley on mine (the prototype I believe). Works great. I had one RR tensioner pulley fail and my 2nd one was on its way out. So far so good with the Billetflow modified unit.

I'm not sure Doug ever offered these as a mass produced item, seems like he just did them upon request. :dunno:

It's a very nice piece after his modifications. :biggthump
thanks for the info Larry, how would I go about contacting him to see if he can modify mine?

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
+1

Jimmy helped me get my last (screwed up) RR pulley off my last tensioner and I think he mentioned being able to replicate it.

Thanks Vic and Larry for remembering me ;)

I can do the holes for keeping the bearing held in place. I can do it at a local shop I have access to.

If I can find a few end mills small enough I can cut it like the blower pullies to grip the belt better.

I have a brand new pulley that I can Mod.( they are $70 From RR with no mod)

Just send me a PM. I have the time right now. LOL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info