• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

HB0892 - Firearm Detection Law

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Looks like it pretty much bans all composite handguns along with composite AR parts. Own a Glock...felon!

Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB0892

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides that a person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses, or carries a firearm with: (1) a major component of which, if subjected to inspection by common metal detection devices, would not be detectable; or (2) a major component of which, if subjected to inspection by common imaging detection devices, would not generate an image that accurately depicts the shape of the component. Provides that this offense is a Class 2 felony. Creates exemptions. Effective immediately.

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
I'd love to see a list of actual legal firearms in IL if all these insane gun control measures pass (which I'm confident they will).

No composite parts and nothing that holds more than 5 shots. Basically bolt/lever action wooden rifles and wooden shotguns...

spuhala

Reaction score
Lets take away all the guns, then make this a sanctuary state is next i bet.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Wonderful how a State with financial woes is perfectly willing to spend millions in court battles to fight for unconstitutional laws which they will lose.

YOUR tax dollars at work.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Reaction score
I'd love to see a list of actual legal firearms in IL if all these insane gun control measures pass (which I'm confident they will).

No composite parts and nothing that holds more than 5 shots. Basically bolt/lever action wooden rifles and wooden shotguns...
The California roster will tell you all you need to know.

Biden's wooden "go buy a" shotgun and your 22 Henry.
You'll be lucky if you don't have to use a spoon to butter your toast.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score

Wait, I don't think wood can be detected by a metal detector, so we wouldn't even be able to have those. :tear:

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
I don’t think polymer frame hanguns would fall into this, they still set off metal detectors because things like the slide and barrel....

I think this is more a knee jerk reaction to that single shot 3d printed stupid ass thing that nobody would ever use.

Still in for SCOTUS to take on more 2A cases soon though!

Mr_Roboto

Reaction score
In this paragraph (11.5), "major component" includes,
16 but is not limited to, the slide, cylinder, barrel, frame,
17 or receiver of the firearm, and does not include any item
18 attached to the major component that is capable of being
19 removed or that is unnecessary for the functioning of the
20 firearm;
Wondering if you could get a slideless assembly from a Glock through a metal detector. or even a broken down one. It depends greatly on how the law is enforced and there's enough ambiguity there to fuck people over. A Polymer80 AR lower would be 100% out IMO.

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
I don’t think polymer frame hanguns would fall into this, they still set off metal detectors because things like the slide and barrel....

I think this is more a knee jerk reaction to that single shot 3d printed stupid ass thing that nobody would ever use.

I think that is what they are trying to pass it off as but fear it is purposely worded to include more. You could easily argue that a polymer frame is a "major component" and if subjected to a common metal detector, it would not be detectable.

These democrats want to ban every single gun they possible can, there is no sensibility being used with all these new laws.

a major component of which, if subjected to inspection by common metal detection devices, would not be detectable

Fish

From the mean streets....
Reaction score

A major part of the gun is still polymer though. It says if a major part of the gun cannot pass through a metal detector. If you strip the grip of a modern striker fired pistol down to just the frame it will pass through a metal detector.

Now if it was not stripped down, and loaded, it wouldnt matter. Even if you field stripped it but left the internals all in it most likely would set off a detector depending on what its set up to detect.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
The frame has metal imbedded in it for the slide to ride on in pretty much all of the polymer guns I have, the Springfield xd’s have a metal cereal number tag imbedded in the polymer, you guys are safe, it’s just more stupid bullshit laws from our stupid bullshit state

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Now I’m going to go take one apart to verify because I’m second guessing myself

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
The frame has metal imbedded in it for the slide to ride on in pretty much all of the polymer guns I have, the Springfield xd’s have a metal cereal number tag imbedded in the polymer, you guys are safe, it’s just more stupid bullshit laws from our stupid bullshit state
Going to take my Ruger LCP apart also to see....

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Just a quick look the glocks and xd’s have the metal cereal number tag imbedded in the polymer

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Lcp also has metal tag on left side under slide, aside from that you can remove all another metal on all of them the blocks the slide rides on are all pinned in I forgot about that

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
They do have metal in them for sure.

Even the Poly80 build I just made you have to install the metal parts for the slide to ride on....

Mr_Roboto

Reaction score
I will say that I wouldn't be surprised if this is susceptible to abuse. I mean what's the standard for the metal detector? Something that you could pass a car under and it might go off? Look at MBC laws in Washington state. Can't even lend your gun to a buddy without a background check both ways. Marketed totally differently than it was enforced!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom