šŸ’ NHL Hawks Thread | Hockey Talk

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
...during a scoreboard update on the score, they referred to the bulls first game against golden state as the "1st game of the ice capades trip "

and i thought, nah, there's no way........
but
being curious i checked out the u.c.'s schedule of events........sure enough they have the ice capades during this 8 game road trip.

to that i say, WTF ? why cant they go to the allstate or the sears center ????
what are the owners of the u.c. thinking ?? let's put out our 2 professional sports teams twice a year.

you think the ice capades makes more $ than a hawks game with alcohol sales ??????

i thought it was the nhl, and now i come to learn that between the damn olympics and the u.c. staff the hawks are being put through the wringer !

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
well guys, we didnt look too good tonight. the short handed goal was nice but it seemed like the defense was off. some slow passes and some costly turnovers.

huet has got to get consistant ! that one wrap around goal was brutal, you gotta stop that one.

oh well,

on to calgary

Had to work so I got to see about 5 minutes of the game. They looked slow and unmotivated. Not typical. Still got five more on this trip...if they take 3 of 5 I'll be happy.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Yeah we definitely looked slow out there last night! Ottowa did a real good job in closing the gaps on us and we could not maintain offensive control in the zone, even on the PP. Huet was way out of position on that wrap around, there was no reason for him to be that far off of the post. What a save by Elliot on Hossa, dives back in with the paddle to negate the open net shot.

Let's whoop on Calgary tomorrow! GO HAWKS!!!

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Great road game for sure :bigthumb:

Calgary is in shambles right now! Duncan Keith has more points right now than Jarome Iginla which is not very good for the Flames. Not to mention the Flames have lost the 6 games :noes: Sutter is probably about to blow a gasket if he hasn't already. 3-1 half way through the road trip, I would say we are playing well.

Let's kick some ass in Vancouver on Saturday, GO HAWKS!!!

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
well, the bouncing puck off of eagers skate was lucky, but thats what happens when you skate hard to the front of the net.

our guys played well and niemi once again proves why he should be considered for the # 1 spot !!!

I don't know if I'd be comfortable officially making Neimi the number 1 goalie. He's got less than 20 professional starts under his belt and ZERO playoff starts. Players around the league are still getting used to his tendencies, and once they do he won't be as "shut down" as he has been. There is also a psychological aspect to being the number 1 goalie that he probably isn't ready for. Neimi has also not proven himself over the long run, something that is very important for a long term solution goalie.

Huet will be fine. While he's had some shaky games, he's nowhere near horrible, and he's had some very solid stretches too. He has playoff experience, and Chicago's defense is so good that they are going to carry the goalie most nights anyway.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I don't know if I'd be comfortable officially making Neimi the number 1 goalie. He's got less than 20 professional starts under his belt and ZERO playoff starts. Players around the league are still getting used to his tendencies, and once they do he won't be as "shut down" as he has been. There is also a psychological aspect to being the number 1 goalie that he probably isn't ready for. Neimi has also not proven himself over the long run, something that is very important for a long term solution goalie.

Huet will be fine. While he's had some shaky games, he's nowhere near horrible, and he's had some very solid stretches too. He has playoff experience, and Chicago's defense is so good that they are going to carry the goalie most nights anyway.

Quenneville has been progessing towards a true 2 goalie system the past few weeks. This is because of the way Huet has been playing. It seems like Huet's confidence has wavered as of late and Quenneville knows it too.

Inexperience is not a huge factor when entering the playoffs for goalies. There have been plenty of rookie goalies (Hiller of the Ducks, Mason of the Blue Jackets) who have stood on their head in the playoffs. I cannot say that their teams backed them up at the same time, but I would be confident having Niemi as our #1 on this team. Huet is way too inconsistent and lacks the solid fundamentals of Niemi. Niemi is a much bigger goalie and maintains his composure very well in net.

You will probably see for the rest of the season both goalies being rewarded for their performances with starts. The Hawks are will make a decision come playoffs on who their main guy will be and my money is on Niemi.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
Quenneville has been progessing towards a true 2 goalie system the past few weeks. This is because of the way Huet has been playing. It seems like Huet's confidence has wavered as of late and Quenneville knows it too.

Inexperience is not a huge factor when entering the playoffs for goalies. There have been plenty of rookie goalies (Hiller of the Ducks, Mason of the Blue Jackets) who have stood on their head in the playoffs. I cannot say that their teams backed them up at the same time, but I would be confident having Niemi as our #1 on this team. Huet is way too inconsistent and lacks the solid fundamentals of Niemi. Niemi is a much bigger goalie and maintains his composure very well in net.

You will probably see for the rest of the season both goalies being rewarded for their performances with starts. The Hawks are will make a decision come playoffs on who their main guy will be and my money is on Niemi.

Either way, I'm just glad the Hawks are winning games and not getting hurt. I'm just going to enjoy the season and not worry about who is in goal.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
niemi isn't a kid.... he is 26...so he is no young punk. he's bigger and faster.
huet just looks flat out slow sometimes. and if they are being rewarded for good starts then niemi may play more often with huet getting the every 3rd to 4th game start.

you may worry about who is in goal come playoff time when huet wets the bed.
i have been calling for niemi for a while. i am by no means making him out to be the best thing since sliced bread BUT we have to at least see what we have in niemi. if he fizzles out after 5-8 starts in a 8-12 game stretch then at least we know.

we must explore all options so we are primed and ready for post season.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
niemi isn't a kid.... he is 26...so he is no young punk. he's bigger and faster.
huet just looks flat out slow sometimes. and if they are being rewarded for good starts then niemi may play more often with huet getting the every 3rd to 4th game start.

you may worry about who is in goal come playoff time when huet wets the bed.
i have been calling for niemi for a while. i am by no means making him out to be the best thing since sliced bread BUT we have to at least see what we have in niemi. if he fizzles out after 5-8 starts in a 8-12 game stretch then at least we know.

we must explore all options so we are primed and ready for post season.

I never said he was some punk kid.

Just remember, the backup quarterback is almost always the guy that the majority of the fan base wants to see start. ;)

Riski

Suck my balls!
Jun 23, 2009
North Aurora
DID I EVER TELL YOU GUYS I HATE VANCOUVER?

canucks.gif

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
i agree, they got a couple lucky bounces. no highlight goals thats for sure. but eager's goal the other night was luck too. we are still 3-2 so far and i think we can take edmonton.

on a side note, why does coach q pull Niemi ? 3 goals in the first period....he could have come back and let 0 - 2 goals in.....huet didnt do anything spectacular.
but
coach q leaves huet in after giving up 3 goals in like 2 mins to the wild, bringing them within one, he eventually gives up the lead and then they win the game.

consistency here, consistency.....why would your "#1" inconsisten goalie have a longer leash then your #2 goalie starting his 2nd game in a row for technically the first time ??

Thread Info