Shawn's 2018 Trackhawk

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Carfax really does suck, I understand the benefits they bring to the table, but honestly they haven't progressed AT ALL in their reporting over the last 5-7 years. IMO they have a responsibility to provide significantly more detail on the repairs that took place.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The funny thing is you can buy a new car off the dealer lot and it has bodywork and paint done to it. It won't show on the Carfax.

Carfax is just one of the many tools that people have available when making a buying decision. Many buyers getting higher-end cars or limited cars will get a Pre Purchase Inspection from a certified shop. They do a pretty thorough job looking over the car, taking pictures, and documenting everything. Including a complete inspection inside and out, under hood, under the car, and so on. Including testing all the panels for paint thickness in several places. These PPI can find a lot of things a good walk around won't see. There are companies that specialize in doing this as well as some dealerships will do this as well. Sadly, I heard last year that Porsche stopped doing PPI for customers.

But in the Trackhawk's case, take pictures of the damaged parts, document repairs, have copies of the invoice. All that stuff helps ease a potential buyer's mind or is helpful to someone doing a PPI. It sucks the truck got hit. It isn't the end of the world but yes, there are many drawbacks to accidents. Re-sale value can be one of them.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Jesus, and here I thought he has Allstate, I'm in good hands, lol. After reading some of these posts earlier, called my buddy with the body shop. He pretty much said the same and I dont feel like searching but someone said they would rather deal with Geico over Allstate. He said he would rather deal with Eagle vs Allstate, lol. He is fairly confident they wont authorize a new bumper cover. He said he has had bumpers with a 3" split and they had him repair it. He also said the same as Dave said, being a 3 stage with pearl they are going to fight the blending. I can accept a repair on the bumper cover vs a new one now that I see its not that bad. But I will fight like hell including using my insurance to have it blended. I cleaned up the bumper area a little with a microfiber and the crack/damage isnt as bad as I thought. Hairline crack and cant get it in a pic. So if need be I will pay out of pocket to have the license plate bracket holes filled in.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Jesus, and here I thought he has Allstate, I'm in good hands, lol. After reading some of these posts earlier, called my buddy with the body shop. He pretty much said the same and I dont feel like searching but someone said they would rather deal with Geico over Allstate. He said he would rather deal with Eagle vs Allstate, lol. He is fairly confident they wont authorize a new bumper cover. He said he has had bumpers with a 3" split and they had him repair it. He also said the same as Dave said, being a 3 stage with pearl they are going to fight the blending. I can accept a repair on the bumper cover vs a new one now that I see its not that bad. But I will fight like hell including using my insurance to have it blended. I cleaned up the bumper area a little with a microfiber and the crack/damage isnt as bad as I thought. Hairline crack and cant get it in a pic. So if need be I will pay out of pocket to have the license plate bracket holes filled in.
Bumper cover shouldn't involve any blending whatsoever

Reactions: Bird1989

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Flares on front fenders go in to bumper cover

I'm missing what you mean

Screenshot_20200222-083949.png

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
I work in the collision industry mostly on the OEM side of things as the middle man between dealerships and collision shops.

if they write it for a used bumper a good body shop has the opportunity to price match the used price with a new oem one from a dealer at a lower price which makes it easy for the shop not want to use the used or aftermarket one. I have a customer who does rebuilds and price matches all his parts on estimate to use oe parts

in this case insurance will want a repair cover, no shop wants to repair any bumper covers ever, the estimator will work the insurance company and get a replacement one used, I don’t feel the used market has many trackhawk covers on hand ready to go. All it takes is for the shop to make 2-3 ample attempts locating a used part then they can go OE.
Royal coach Bartlett and A&L in Palatine are great shops To work with and will fight to use OE parts for repairs.

as for CarFax...they grab data on your car from many sources, collision parts inquiry with a vin search, police reports, estimates etc... I have a high line shop where a customer freaked out that the repair to his Porsche which he paid out of pocket was listed on carfax, found out it was due to a police report filed. Sneaky sneaky.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I work in the collision industry mostly on the OEM side of things as the middle man between dealerships and collision shops.

if they write it for a used bumper a good body shop has the opportunity to price match the used price with a new oem one from a dealer at a lower price which makes it easy for the shop not want to use the used or aftermarket one. I have a customer who does rebuilds and price matches all his parts on estimate to use oe parts

in this case insurance will want a repair cover, no shop wants to repair any bumper covers ever, the estimator will work the insurance company and get a replacement one used, I don’t feel the used market has many trackhawk covers on hand ready to go. All it takes is for the shop to make 2-3 ample attempts locating a used part then they can go OE.
Royal coach Bartlett and A&L in Palatine are great shops To work with and will fight to use OE parts for repairs.

as for CarFax...they grab data on your car from many sources, collision parts inquiry with a vin search, police reports, estimates etc... I have a high line shop where a customer freaked out that the repair to his Porsche which he paid out of pocket was listed on carfax, found out it was due to a police report filed. Sneaky sneaky.

Yup, never made a claim on my first Raptor where a guy merged into me because it was just scuffing on both fenders and scuff remover got rid of 90% of it. Found out Carfax cocksuckers used the police report to add the "FRONT LEFT AND FRONT RIGHT IMPACT".

Fuck Carfax

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Thread Info