Has anyone ran 3 layer mls head gaskets?

GTPpower

Reaction score
I'm trying to get all the compression that I can, but I'm reading lots of bad things about the 3 layer gaskets (.045) on clubgp. It seems they don't do well with boost, and the 4 layer (.052) are significantly better.

But all these threads are nearing 15 years ago. I'm wondering if some improvements have been made. Has anyone run these?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
as i read your post in livefeed, a tiny 3800 gnome was whispering in my brain the 3800 mantra "stock is best, stock is fastest"
[MENTION=917]1quick[/MENTION] where ya at

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Stock GM ones are the best iirc but cannot be found all that easily.

Where's James when you need him :tear:

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I honestly can’t remember the thickness I ran, I only used mls once, always vector reinz after that one time, never an issue with either, mls drilled rivits copper spray on both sides of each layer and head studs

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
Reaction score
Where's James when you need him :tear:
Yes.... his expertise has been MIA on a few forums. I don't know him personally, only in conversation on GPF, but it's been too long. We're all gonna have to stop by Harry's and get him to come out of his cave. I need an update on that twin engine Olds. God damnit.

GTPpower

Reaction score
I'm aware of the reputation that the mls gaskets have and how hard they can be to seal up. But this is a drag only car and I need to get the compression as high as I can with stock pistons. Reliability isn't as huge of a deal as it has been with my other builds. So I'm just wondering if the 3 layer will hold any power or if I should just go with the 4 layer.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Blower nitrous car? Why not just deck the heads? I ran thinner than stock and didn’t have a problem I don’t recall what the stock thickness is off the top of my head but they were fine

GTPpower

Reaction score
Just blower. I'll make a build thread eventually.

You can't deck the heads too much or you lose strength and will have a hard time sealing any gasket.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
The difference that little bit of head gasket thickness is a drop in a bucket for power. Unless you're running a dome piston and actually increasing the compression (which is still peanuts when you factor in the cam and lobe duration) these small increases will net very little to nothing. Look up static compression vs dynamic compression, there's some knowledge that will help you out. Shit, running an l32 VS an l26 is like what? 5% more HP on average, IF that?

HOWEVER, running a 3 layer with copper spray between each layer will be just fine with boost. You have to spray them evenly and re-spray them whilst they're tacky for a nice even layer.

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
For a blower car there's no reason to run anything but a stock head gasket. Even some shit gaskets from NAPA would be fine. Those could be your fuse if you have too much cylinder pressure from knock. WTF kind of boost are you thinking you're going to run with a blower?

GTPpower

Reaction score
I'm planning on running a 2.3 pulley with a 10% overdrive.

It'll be interesting to see what it makes for boost.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i believe that will make an afterburner good sir.

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on running a 2.3 pulley with a 10% overdrive.

It'll be interesting to see what it makes for boost.
Get out of here, why?

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Id just shoot to make it like 12:1 compression and run a 2.8 or 3.0 pulley

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
I think you could do that with a pulley that didn't spin your blower into oblivion though

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have a set of the .045s I think somewhere around my house, not new, but I don't see why they couldn't be re-used at this point... I never used them.

GTPpower

Reaction score

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom