Happy Groundhog's Day

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Eeeh; eeehh; eeehh. That's groundhog for: "F you all. Do your jobs and let me do mine." Punxsutawney Phil.

Introduction to Groundhogs:

1 Commonly found in North America, groundhogs (also known as woodchucks) have four large, chisel-like incisor teeth. Because their teeth grow about 1/16 of an inch every week, groundhogs must spend a lot of time nibbling at trees or roots to wear down their teeth. If they don't do that, they may jeopardize their own lives!

2 Groundhogs are excellent homebuilders. Their underground residences (or burrows) can be 5 feet deep and extend for over 30 feet. Because groundhogs like to keep their burrows dry, they always construct their homes on sloped, grassy areas where water flows away easily. Their burrows have several rooms linked by tunnels, and each one is for a different function. For example, groundhogs have separate toilet areas so they don't soil their bedrooms.

3 Perhaps groundhogs are most famous for their ability to predict seasonal change. On February 2nd every year, people gather in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania to celebrate Groundhog Day. On that day, the renowned groundhog named Phil comes out of his underground home to look for his shadow. Believers say that we will endure six more weeks of winter if Phil sees his shadow. Otherwise, spring will come soon. This tradition, introduced by German settlers, has been celebrated in Punxsutawney since 1886. So, how accurate is Phil? Well, disappointingly, only 39% of Phil's predictions have been correct.
groundhog1.jpg

So bet against the rat. C'mon Spring...

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So, guess the marmot "said he saw his shadow", so another six weeks of winter. Let's think about this for a moment. It is the second day of February, who doesn't think it'll be winter for at least another one to two months? And who was the translator that could speak groundhog?

"People gathered Thursday at Gobbler’s Knob as members of Punxsutawney Phil’s “inner circle” summoned the groundhog from his tree stump at dawn to learn if he has seen his shadow — and they say he did. According to folklore, if he sees his shadow there will be six more weeks of winter."

Also, 17 year bump
winning GIF

Thread Info