HALP with slicks & tubes

shaferz

slaps a ho
Sep 9, 2008
Central IL
Shoulda just got new fucking slicks I guess.

Story: I bought used slicks. Leaks air from the sidewalls. I freak out. Call Hoosier, and am told this is 'normal.' Still not a fan of having to re-air-up the slicks every time i want to put them on the car.

I buy a set of Hoosier tubes. Dropped them off at my tire guys shop. He calls an hour later to have me go over there.

The rim that my slicks are mounted on uses a smaller hole for the valvestem than what the Hoosier tubes are. He was just going to drill the hole out to 5/8" like Hoosier recommends, but before drilling, he noticed two other problems. At 5/8", the hole would be so large, the valvestem wouldn't have a flat area to sit on due to the rim construction. Also, the valvestem needs to be 'screwed' on with a cap that holds the valvestem in the wheel. The area where the 'cap' needs to go isnt big enough for the cap to go there. The fucking tubes were like... designed for special racecar wheels. Cant move the hole to anywhere else on the wheel because the protruding valvestem would hit brake components.

Sooooo... it looks like I'm fucked. Just gonna have to have him re-mount the tubeless slicks, then I"ll pump those motherfuckers full of air before a track day and hope they last the whole time?

Side note -

Anybody have a legit use for a brand fucking new set of 80-88/15 Hoosier tubes?! :angrys00ls: $135 shipped. I paid $150.

/rant

Anyway... :wavey: How you fuckers been? Havent been around these parts for a while.

shaferz

slaps a ho
Sep 9, 2008
Central IL
A days worth of research and talking to oldtimers around the tire dudes shop -

I came away with the fact that almost every single one of those guys have slicks that leaked from the sidewall, and of those people, almost every single one coated the inside of the sidewalls with green palmolive dish soap - and all of them said it significantly slowed the leaking. :wtf:

Needless to say... mine are in the garage getting the same treatment now.

Anybody need a brand new set of tubes for 80-88" circ. Hoosier slicks?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• shaferz
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list