• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Had to buy COPs...for the first time

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Ive had 6 MM's and never a bad COP.
This beater Marauder I bought runs great unless the load is high and you can hear it breaking up through the exhaust.

I swapped 1 coil from hole to hole and it never went away, but it 'changed' to a degree which tells me there are many bad coils.

Ordered 8 FRPP coils from Tousley for $224 shipped. Boooya! They are listed for 2007-2010 GT500 but are identical to Marauder Coils.

I think I may know why they failed:
When I got the beater running for the first time and was filling the cooling system, the fan never came on. I was datalogging temp and it was at 215 degrees. I checked the connector, tapped the fan and nothing. (keep in mind I bought this thing dead so I didnt know the history)
Swapped another fan in and same shit! Turns out the Diablo tune the car had in it had the fan programmed somewhere north of 215. WTF

Id bet that years of excess heat not only killed that engine, but the coils as well.
COPs arrive Friday.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I've gone through a few COPs in my Mustang. I was told that it is very rare for them to go out, but I've replaced mine twice in six years.

Though I didn't replace all of them the first time, maybe just two. Then when it started happening again, I just replaced all of them. It is such a pain in the ass to find the suspect coil, so I just got eight new ones.

Sounds like you got a good deal. I think I paid about $350 for my stock replacements a few years back.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I think my tuner suggested replacing them all with new ones. Then swap one of the new ones with an old one, one at a time. If it doesn't misfire, then the coil is good. It'd be easiest on a dyno, but dyno time is expensive and it might be cheaper to just replace them all.
You could probably test on the street too.

ChromeCobra

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2005
The easiest way is to hook them up to a Ford IDS machine and stress test them.

If you dont know a buddy in the biz that can hook you up, the cost of testing is just not worth it.

Is it possible for them to work when they're cool and then not work when the motor is heated up? Or maybe become weak?

I'm having a misfire problem with my Cobra but it only does it when the motor is heated up..:thinking:

GetMeMyStogie

Jul 16, 2012
If you're getting a miss at idle, finding the bad COP is pretty easy: unplug the fuel injectors one cylinder at a time with the engine running. If you unplug one and the engine runs worse, you've found a good COP. If you unplug one and the engine runs the same, you've found a bad COP.
You could also do this for a miss under load, but it might get harder to tell the intermittent miss from the forced miss.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info