guy makes ar-15 out of aluminum cans

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
It is cool to see what people can accomplish on their own if they're motivated and need to. But that's a HELL of a lot of work for something you can buy for $40 right now, and i'd trust that $40 lower quality light years over his melted aluminum Coke cans lower.

To geek things up a step further, i'd like to see a metallurgy test of his compared to your standard mil-spec lower.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
well of course, but it's impressive how much skill can go into making some trick little plastic mold even if the piece it produces in the end is a buck.

since i don't know how to make dick with my hands i suppose i find this more impressive than if you're fabbing shit at work or making wood stuff for a hobby etc etc. but it's neat for me to see the problems you solve with design, then run into with application, then have to circle back for a more clever design, etc etc etc. i have a buddy who can make a whole lot of stuff out of metal/plastic/carbon fiber and it's interesting to see how he iterates through the process of designing and improving on things he's built both for work as well as personal projects.

whereas i'd just be a helpless idiot trying to do even the most basic stuff. on the counterpoint one might be able to see hey i can come up with clever magic computer land resolutions to tricky problems, but it's certainly not as tangible. and even most nerds wouldn't sit and find those videos interesting, while i watched all of this guy's videos on making this thing.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Came in here to see a gun made out of cans, quickly left.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
Ill watch later. I don’t care if you can buy a part for $40, because I’m the type of person who would spend $400 just to see if I could do it myself.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
It is cool to see what people can accomplish on their own if they're motivated and need to. But that's a HELL of a lot of work for something you can buy for $40 right now, and i'd trust that $40 lower quality light years over his melted aluminum Coke cans lower.

To geek things up a step further, i'd like to see a metallurgy test of his compared to your standard mil-spec lower.
well of course, but it's impressive how much skill can go into making some trick little plastic mold even if the piece it produces in the end is a buck.

since i don't know how to make dick with my hands i suppose i find this more impressive than if you're fabbing shit at work or making wood stuff for a hobby etc etc. but it's neat for me to see the problems you solve with design, then run into with application, then have to circle back for a more clever design, etc etc etc. i have a buddy who can make a whole lot of stuff out of metal/plastic/carbon fiber and it's interesting to see how he iterates through the process of designing and improving on things he's built both for work as well as personal projects.

whereas i'd just be a helpless idiot trying to do even the most basic stuff. on the counterpoint one might be able to see hey i can come up with clever magic computer land resolutions to tricky problems, but it's certainly not as tangible. and even most nerds wouldn't sit and find those videos interesting, while i watched all of this guy's videos on making this thing.
Ill watch later. I don’t care if you can buy a part for $40, because I’m the type of person who would spend $400 just to see if I could do it myself.
This is certainly not about what you get, it's a bout the journey to get there. Although I'm sure it's not as good as a mil-spec one (I see the big compromise being weight tbh) I'm sure it's wholly adequate for a lot of rounds. I think the base material choice was likely poor though, and a high silicate sand (like pistons, a transmission or lawn mower case) would have been a better bet. At the same time it doesn't sound as cool to say you built it out of a transmission case :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom