🔧 BUILD GTPpower's 05 F-350 6.0 PSD

General Information

I need a way to help me keep track of everything I'm doing to this thing.

1688935651524.png

I bought it from a dealer on 02/01/17. It needed an oil cooler and possibly a headgasket. I farm and own a construction business, so reliability is a main concern. I took it to a diesel shop a few weeks later to get the following done.

-Headstuds
-4" Turboback Exhaust
-Edge CTS2 Pro with Gearhead Custom tuning
-Edge EGT Probe
-Mishimoto Coolant Filter
-Valvecover Gaskets
-Rear Main Seal
-Updated Oil Cooler
-Rear Cover Gasket
-Updated Turbo Feed Line
-Rocker Box Gasket
-Injector O-ring kit
-Heater Tube O-ring
-Motorcraft Crank Sensor
-Passanger and Driver Glow Plug Harnesses
-Hpop Gasket Kit
-Updated Turbo Oil Drain
-Standpipe & Dummy Plug Kit
-Blue Spring Kit
-6.4 Pushrods
-6.4 Lifters
-Cam position sensor
-Racor Oil and Fuel Filters
-5w-40 Synthetic Oil
-CAT Extended Life Coolant

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Saturday I got some work done. Dropped the pan, which was surprisingly clean.

The filter was black, but had almost no buildup on it.

There was a little clutch material on the magnet. Cleaned it up and got it ready to reinstall.

I also drained the engine oil.

I took a sample and will be sending it to Blackstone.

I put in 15 quarts of synthetic 5w-40 and two bottles of this.

It also ended up taking 8.5 bottles of this trans fluid, and I still think it's a little bit low.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
-Headstuds
-EGR Delete
-4" Turboback Exhaust
-Edge CTS2 Pro with Gearhead Custom tuning
-Edge EGT Probe
-Mishimoto Coolant Filter
-Valvecover Gaskets
-Rear Main Seal
-Updated Oil Cooler
-Rear Cover Gasket
-Updated Turbo Feed Line
-Rocker Box Gasket
-Injector O-ring kit
-Heater Tube O-ring
-Motorcraft Crank Sensor
-Passanger and Driver Glow Plug Harnesses
-Hpop Gasket Kit
-Updated Turbo Oil Drain
-Standpipe & Dummy Plug Kit
-Blue Spring Kit
-6.4 Pushrods
-6.4 Lifters
-Cam position sensor
-Racor Oil and Fuel Filters
-5w-40 Synthetic Oil
-CAT Extended Life Coolant

What'd that whole pile of work run? If I go the 6.0 route I'm sure this will be pretty quick to follow.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I've been having issues with the turbo not boosting for a minute or 2 after heavy throttle. Thought it was in the tune, but after talking to Matt at gearhead, I don't think it is. I've also been noticing that boost is maybe not quite as high as it was.

Anyways, I was coming home late last night and the road was empty. So I thought I would try the 1/4 mile test on the cts2. I just launched it 2wd. When the turbo lit, it blew the tires off, but I ended up with this.

Anyways I let off and waited for the turbo to spool back up. About ten minutes later when I pulled into my driveway, vgt was still at 85%. I looked at the cac tubes and everything seems fine. I shut it off and restarted it without any change. So it looks like the turbo is stuck.

I need to pull it off and clean it from what I can find online. But what do I need to get for parts? It looks like there are some seals and orings that need replaced.

Is there anything else I should check?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Right now I cant say the turbo is stuck from what you have provided.

Keep in mind that the 85% that your reading, is not measuring the actuator travel. thats what the PCM is commanding. On the Duramax, it has a sensor that measures this travel and makes it super easy to dio a stuck turbo.

This seems like there is intake leak of some sort as its maxing the turbo out to make up the EBP and MAP it needs to see.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Parts list is just the 2 turbo drain seals, w300012, turbo oil feed seal and gasket.

Although they should be all new and if you could keep the turbo oil line attatched to the turbo you shouldnt have to buy any provided you dont tear the drain seal on install.

Nothing is needed for the cleaning of the turbo unless you find a cracked unison ring. Just time, cleaning materials.

You do know you can get a brand new turbo for these things for ~$800....

I only clean turbos for side jobs, never in shop. The clean may last 6 weeks or 6 months. Alot of my customers want it done right and want zero down time

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
It may slightly flutter on rapid decel, but it's not very noticeable. I've only heard it a few times.

Speaking of leaks, I was going to take off the boots and clean them...the clamps were super loose yesterday morning, so I tightened them up. But I think I should just take them off and clean it up good.

I will log all that stuff, but might have to wait til tomorrow to check it out.

I have to run to omaha today, so I may try to see if an auto parts store has the parts I need.

And, yeah I see that stock turbos are cheap. If it's bad though, I think I may just shell out $300 more for the powermax.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I went back to the stock tune just to check if it wasn't a tune problem and so it would quit blowing black smoke on my test drives. Nothing changed. But I did floor it from 5mph. Vgt stayed at 85% the whole time. It didn't build any boost til 2nd gear when it peaked at 17 psi. I let off, and vgt decreased to about 50%, but quickly went back to 85%.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I went and unplugged the ebp sensor while just letting it idle in my driveway. On the scanner, ebp went to 36psi. From what I understand, that's in the computer programing for a sensor failure. After plugging it back in, it went back to zero.

Also, the VGT changed to ~45%. However, the exhaust note did not change. No whistle....it sounds like a Cummins.

I'm not getting a CEL, but I did check codes after all this. I got a code for the EBP sensor....I'm guessing from unplugging it. I also pulled a PO046 - Turbo/Super Charger Boost Control Solenoid Circuit Range/Performance.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Fixed it!

Pulled the CAC tube off to clean it up and inspect the boots. No big holes, but I think I'll be replacing the upper before too long.

But I was checking the wires over for the vgt, and the plug just fell out. The clip was broken. Plugged it back in, and all seems normal now.

I'll have to get a small zip tie and tighten it down.

Now with koeo, ebp is at 5psi. Map and baro are right at 14. Is the still a problem there?

Reactions: rowekmr

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Yeah I know that.

I'm thinking that there is a problem with the ebp sensor according to some dieseltechron videos. He is saying that ebp and map should be very close. Mine are not.

It also doesn't have as much power as it did when I first got it. On the extreme tune, it blows a decent amount of black smoke when I floor it.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Casting sand. Cut the filter open next. That's alot for having all that work done... Don't be surprised if your oil cooler restricts a tad with all they left in the system

After seeing that I'd go 2x or 3x the milege on next filter. After that once a year.

Thread Info