🔧 BUILD GTPpower's 05 F-350 6.0 PSD

General Information

I need a way to help me keep track of everything I'm doing to this thing.

1688935651524.png

I bought it from a dealer on 02/01/17. It needed an oil cooler and possibly a headgasket. I farm and own a construction business, so reliability is a main concern. I took it to a diesel shop a few weeks later to get the following done.

-Headstuds
-4" Turboback Exhaust
-Edge CTS2 Pro with Gearhead Custom tuning
-Edge EGT Probe
-Mishimoto Coolant Filter
-Valvecover Gaskets
-Rear Main Seal
-Updated Oil Cooler
-Rear Cover Gasket
-Updated Turbo Feed Line
-Rocker Box Gasket
-Injector O-ring kit
-Heater Tube O-ring
-Motorcraft Crank Sensor
-Passanger and Driver Glow Plug Harnesses
-Hpop Gasket Kit
-Updated Turbo Oil Drain
-Standpipe & Dummy Plug Kit
-Blue Spring Kit
-6.4 Pushrods
-6.4 Lifters
-Cam position sensor
-Racor Oil and Fuel Filters
-5w-40 Synthetic Oil
-CAT Extended Life Coolant

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Got the middle out. A few harder hits with the sledge hammer took care of it. The one broken cap had no needle bearings left in it.

20231201_172500.jpg

Got the front ujoint our too. Napa gave me a slightly different ujoint for the front, and I'm trying to decide if I should use it. I'm pretty sure all three were the same from the factory. All stamped Spicer 209.

Also, I got everything off the carrier except the inner race. Had to cut the outer apart. I don't think there was anything wrong with the bearing, but it does look like the seals were leaking on it.

20231202_121949.jpg

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Yeah idk if it's right but I'm not scared to put heat on them. Jeep guys tack weld the cups into the yoke so they don't have to worry bout the clips popping out on them.
I was about ready to use heat, but I took a couple big hits with the sledge hammer and it broke free.

I will have to use heat to get the carrier bearing off though.

• Love
Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I was about ready to use heat, but I took a couple big hits with the sledge hammer and it broke free.

I will have to use heat to get the carrier bearing off though.
Yeah it'll be fine. I got pissed and went for heat on the bottom of a strut in an escape the other day and caught myself as soon as I lit the torch up like duh retard shits full of compressed gas and oil 😂 so I end up just beating the dog shit out of them and had to use the weight of the thing to get the new ones to drop down and seat correctly. 3 hr job turns into 8 thanks to our lovely road salt.

• Haha
Reactions: GTPpower

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Man, if you don't have a press A horrible freight one is well worth the $200ish to get. They were quite a bit cheaper back when, but what wasn't? I did strut bushings on my Volvo and it paid for its self in that alone.
That depends on what kind of press. In my case a set of those chincy spring compressors would've helped a lot until it came time to put them back in. That and these newer car rust sooooo much worse than the other stuff it's insane. Shitll be 3 years old and the bottom looks like it's been sitting next to the Titanic.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Man, if you don't have a press A horrible freight one is well worth the $200ish to get. They were quite a bit cheaper back when, but what wasn't? I did strut bushings on my Volvo and it paid for its self in that alone.
I would buy one in a heartbeat if I had more room. I would use it so much.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Got it all back together.

20231209_165430.jpg

And broke my m12 ratchet. I guess don't use this for tightening.

20231209_165448.jpg

Test drive was vibration free. Except now tow/haul is flashing and a check engine light is on. It skips 2nd gear and won't shift Into 6th, just like it usually does when it throws the normal codes for solenoid B. That never turns on the engine light though.

P0700 is what tripped it. I noticed some spotting underneath it since it's been sitting in the same spot for a couple weeks.

Is there some kind of seal in this connection that could be causing my issue?

20231209_173924.jpg

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
  • Love
Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
That's the one I upgraded to and I love it especially with a high output battery. But you gotta watch it on small bolts and the head is a lot bigger than the original so it does have its downsides. The extended reach is looking pretty sexy right now too but I'm not super into proprietary sockets for it.

Reactions: GTPpower

Thread Info