🔧 BUILD GTPpower's 05 F-350 6.0 PSD

General Information

I need a way to help me keep track of everything I'm doing to this thing.

1688935651524.png

I bought it from a dealer on 02/01/17. It needed an oil cooler and possibly a headgasket. I farm and own a construction business, so reliability is a main concern. I took it to a diesel shop a few weeks later to get the following done.

-Headstuds
-4" Turboback Exhaust
-Edge CTS2 Pro with Gearhead Custom tuning
-Edge EGT Probe
-Mishimoto Coolant Filter
-Valvecover Gaskets
-Rear Main Seal
-Updated Oil Cooler
-Rear Cover Gasket
-Updated Turbo Feed Line
-Rocker Box Gasket
-Injector O-ring kit
-Heater Tube O-ring
-Motorcraft Crank Sensor
-Passanger and Driver Glow Plug Harnesses
-Hpop Gasket Kit
-Updated Turbo Oil Drain
-Standpipe & Dummy Plug Kit
-Blue Spring Kit
-6.4 Pushrods
-6.4 Lifters
-Cam position sensor
-Racor Oil and Fuel Filters
-5w-40 Synthetic Oil
-CAT Extended Life Coolant

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I'll try to cut it open this weekend.

I'm still chasing boost problems. 1st and 2nd at wot will only make about 20 psi. 3+ will make about 24. I've been watching the scanner trying to find any correlation on where to look first.

So I've been pulling my enclosed trailer the last couple days on the stock tune to rule out any possible tune issues. These are just screen shots, but it's a good example of what is going on.

4-5 psi was as high as it would get. This lasted for about a 5 mile stretch. Vgt stayed pegged at 85%.

Then again today it did the same thing while pulling, this was about an 11 mile stretch. Boost was higher, but I was also going about 5mph faster.

A bit later, I got into some hills. Going up a big hill, I had the cruise set at 60mph and I was watching the scanner. It built about 17psi, then downshifted to 4th gear. Boost went to 25psi for a second, then to 29psi. I haven't seen it get that high for a long time. As soon as it hit 29, vgt went to 15%, but boost stayed at 29. I was watching...thinking the wrench light was going to pop on soon for the overboost code, but it didn't happen. Instead, a loud POP, followed by a different turbo noise. I blew the coupler off the turbo, and the clamp was nowhere to be found. The farm was just a couple miles away, so I took it nice and easy and made it there. I found a hose clamp big enough, and put that on for the time being.

So, I am guessing that this pretty much means the turbo needs to come off, right? I was going to check for boost leaks this weekend, and still probably will just in case.

Also, 29psi is as high as the factory sensor will read, right? So in reality, it could have been quite a bit higher than that, right? Which is maybe what blew off my coupler?

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
The tow/haul light started flashing at me yesterday. I looked up what that means, and it claims there is a problem with the trans. I have no check engine light on, but p2701 is set. I can clear it and it comes back right away. Overdrive still engages and disengages like normal. In fact, I don't notice any shifting problems.

Thread Info