🔧 BUILD GTPpower's 05 F-350 6.0 PSD

General Information

I need a way to help me keep track of everything I'm doing to this thing.

1688935651524.png

I bought it from a dealer on 02/01/17. It needed an oil cooler and possibly a headgasket. I farm and own a construction business, so reliability is a main concern. I took it to a diesel shop a few weeks later to get the following done.

-Headstuds
-4" Turboback Exhaust
-Edge CTS2 Pro with Gearhead Custom tuning
-Edge EGT Probe
-Mishimoto Coolant Filter
-Valvecover Gaskets
-Rear Main Seal
-Updated Oil Cooler
-Rear Cover Gasket
-Updated Turbo Feed Line
-Rocker Box Gasket
-Injector O-ring kit
-Heater Tube O-ring
-Motorcraft Crank Sensor
-Passanger and Driver Glow Plug Harnesses
-Hpop Gasket Kit
-Updated Turbo Oil Drain
-Standpipe & Dummy Plug Kit
-Blue Spring Kit
-6.4 Pushrods
-6.4 Lifters
-Cam position sensor
-Racor Oil and Fuel Filters
-5w-40 Synthetic Oil
-CAT Extended Life Coolant

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I put new batteries in this a year ago. Both new 850CCA batteries. They were load tested at 920+ CCA when I brought them home. Today, I tested them again, and both are in the 750CCA range. The guy I brought the FICM from claims we need at least 800CCA in this cold climate. Any idea if I might hurt the FICM since the batteries seem to be be losing cranking amps?

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska

Changed oil. Just got back from Texas. Bought a trailer online and I drove down there and pulled it back.

My ect and eot deltas are starting to get bigger. It seems to run about 9° now empty. I was typically 14°-16° on the way back with the trailer behind me.

I'm thinking about switching to the ipr external oil cooler if I'm going to need to swap coolers every 1.5-2 years.

IPR External Oil Cooler Kit for Ford 6.0 Powerstroke - Innovative Diesel Performance

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
So, I haven't done anything with this thing, but drive it. Almost due for another oil change.

Eot/ect deltas are getting out of hand. They are typically 15-20° empty and 35-40 while towing. The external oil cooler is going to happen as soon as I clear out some room in my garage. I might upgrade the turbo at that time as well to a kc stage 1. Depends if I have another $1500 to blow on it.

I also haven't dug into my fuel pressure dropping issue either.

Question: I always get the fuel level data error about every tank. It appears the sender hits a dead spot from about 3/4 a tank to a little above 1/4. If I drop the tank and replace the sending unit, that should fix my problem, right? That would also replace the portion where the line restriction most likely is as well, right?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
The only thing I've had cause repeat cooler failures is an internally rusting block. Those you'll never fix, the rust will flake off for fucking ever. I've got 2 fleet 6.4s that I've been fighting and they come back for coolers every year, and I've had a dozen or so 6.0s do this.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I think I'm going to get the oil cooler kit ordered tonight. Hopefully have a chance to install it in a week or two. I think I'm going to replace the radiator too while I'm at it, since I can see the crimped seams seaping a very small amount.

DEEZUZ DEEZUZ what are the chances I've hurt something running the oil cooler like this? I had a hot no start a couple weeks ago. I had to crank maybe 15 seconds for it to start. I'm thinking it may have just been a weird fluke where the hpop sucked the res dry because I let off the key too soon. It hasn't done it since. Ipr at idle is about 27%. Cranking,it maybe gets to 55%. When it didn't start, ipr was at 85%.

Also, fuel pressure does some weird stuff. I still have my low pressure at wot, but every so often I get a really high spike of pressure. Sometimes it's close to 100psi. It could be my cheap sensor flaking out. Could there also be a problem with the regulator? It has the blue spring.

Here is a video of it. It starts getting wacky about :25.

Thread Info