3800 GTP vs UPS truck ?

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
So,

I go off to UPS to drop off today's items at the airport late drop off....

UPS shuts down at the airport around 10PM. I've got about 15 minutes to make a 18 minute drive. No margin for error. So silly me gets off on the WRONG exit near the airport and has to do a flying 180 on the expressway (well not quite) but it was probably illegal.

As I head bakc to the airport and get off near where I think I'm supposed to be going, I spot a .... UPS truck. I figure, there's only ONE place that truck is going near the airport at this time.

So ... I TRY to get in behind him. I get stuck next to a BEAT UP (and i mean beat up) camaro. He thinks I'm trying to race him, but in reality i'm trying to keep up with the UPS truck.

Finally we got one of the many desolate roads near the airport at 10PM. I get an opening and hit the gas to reel in the UPS truck. (the speed limit is ... 30 MPH, mind you.)

I hit 35, nope.... 40, nope.... 50, fat chance..... 55, nada.... 60... 65.... 70.... 75....80!??!?!?!?!? still no ground is gained on the UPS truck. I look ahead and see a pretty sharp turn coming up and I think that my GMPP is going to pay off here... To my surprise I see no brake lights on the back of the UPS truck and he enters the turn. So, figuring I can handle that, I barrel in after him and start to make ground on him through the turn at about 85 mph. The car BARELY held the corner and was partially my fault as I had the wrong angle coming into the turn.

This cat and mouse happened for probably the next 5 minutes of driving until sure enough, the truck pulls into the UPS building at the airport. Unfortunatley for me, its 10:10 PM and the pickup area for customers is closed. Luckily however, the truck is waiting at the security gate to get in, so I grab my packages and make a mad dash up to him (airport security rent-a-cop didn't like that too much).

I ask the dude to take the packages as I'm late and he's like "sure, no problem!". As I turn away, I ask him..... "so how fucking fast were you going back there?"
He was so intent on HIS driving, he didn't even realize that I had been chasing him for 5+ minutes. His reply was, "man I was goin' pretty f'in fast dawg.... They really teach us how to drive these things" *wink*

I then got back in my car and headed home. Ahhhh the smell of heaviloy used brakes !

The End, Back to Coding time !

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
you ain't kiding they're on a tight schedule. The way that guy was driving, you would have thought his life was on the line.

it was the first time in a while i had a chance to open up the gtp anyway so it was fun. I was just hoping for someting like a ferrari or something, not the ups truck.

LOL

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
If it was a package car they pack 4.3L chevys with a borg warner 4-speed and up too 3.90 gears. Aluminun diamond plate interrior. Some are deisels. Cummins and chevys...The chevys blow so there was alot of 4.3L gas conversions. The duallies also give some stabillity in the curves aswell as the wheel base.

Our driver trainning teaches them to see the entire road and ahead of traffic. Its dorky but it really does work if you practice it. Besides he probably knows every crack in that road. Im not a driver but we are still required to take all the trainning availible due to the diversity of our job requirements.

Maybe you need a little more power an suspension. :lolsign:

Im glad he took care of you. Thanks for using UPS.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by I-Dom-In-8@Aug 17 2004, 07:39 PM
Ohh man do i have storys, Those trucks do have some pickup to them. But it all depends on the truck. If its the 4 speed or 5. 8 cube or 10 cube. and they top at 90, not that i know but i heard ;)
Back to work dude? CACH me if you can. 7/70's. :eek: <Thats a yawn.

This is me with new PRJ fuel rails, 60# squirters, and Warbrow pump....Pay day tonight. :D

Mind your Habits now Kev............. <_<

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info