Got bumped to "Advanced" a couple weeks ago :)

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Finally got the pics downloaded. Getting bumped to Advanced with sportbiketracktime was one of my goals for the year and I managed to accomplish it at a track i'd never been to (gingerman). It was a great feeling riding with the advanced group, it had been well over a year since I really got to ride with anyone faster than me in Intermediate (excluding coaches). I passed a couple advanced riders which I didn't expect, but it was an even better feeling to actually be passed. That's the only way to get better...being held up by slower riders sucks.

Next things on the list....race license and an possibly an MCRA race at putnam next year. That's the track i'm most comfortable at.

Copied post from the bored thread right after the event: Had one of my biggest ass pucker moments ever while a coach was following me as part of my first "trial" to bump up. Went to pass 4-5 people on the straight, the two people at the front of that cluster were on faster bikes than I expected, so i stayed in it longer than I had planned to get around them and also had to take a shitty line in to turn 1 in order to keep from chopping them off. Basically I held the gas about 30' longer than normal and therefore had to hit the front brake so hard I felt the ABS for a solid 60 feet. Scared me a little bit, I actually lost the coach that was supposed to be following me during that pass. Went straight from feeling ABS to dipping in sharp to the turn.

ABS FTW...it would not have been pretty without it

On to the pics:

n20gt-albums-all-picture3279-2151462small.jpg

n20gt-albums-all-picture3278-2151460small.jpg

Went off track...whoops.

n20gt-albums-all-picture3277-2151457small.jpg

n20gt-albums-all-picture3276-2151445small.jpg

n20gt-albums-all-picture3283-advanced.jpg

Here's a vid from earlier in the season for those that missed it, FF to 2:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJW6wbqGhMA&feature=youtu.be

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
congrats. must be one hell of a rush.
It's a blast. Everyone thinks that it's the speed and acceleration that's exciting, but really it's braking and turning. When you really start braking deep and balancing braking late vs braking severity vs corner speed, and push your limits, is when the adrenaline really starts pumping. Braking so hard you feel the back tire bounce around is pretty crazy, braking hard enough to feel abs on sticky pavement with stooopid soft tires was just scary lol.
I showed this to Justin (you rode with him last weekend) thinking this would be new info...it was not...I wasted his time.

Lmao, he seemed pretty familiar with the track scene :)

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
damn thats awesome! I've done 2 trackdays myself and it was an absolute RUSH! I also went with sportbiketracktime.

Both times I went to autobahn,(south and full) I'm planning to head to gingerman this week for the first time this season. Not surprisingly, im still in the beginner class. :)

I definitely want to hit up all the road courses in the midwest...its on my list of things to do.

road america
blackhawk farms
putnam park
grattan
gingerman
autobahn-DONE

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
damn thats awesome! I've done 2 trackdays myself and it was an absolute RUSH! I also went with sportbiketracktime.

Both times I went to autobahn,(south and full) I'm planning to head to gingerman this week for the first time this season. Not surprisingly, im still in the beginner class. :)

I definitely want to hit up all the road courses in the midwest...its on my list of things to do.

road america
blackhawk farms
putnam park
grattan
gingerman
autobahn-DONE
That's awesome! I've been to all except for grattan and BHF, and to be honest based on feedback and videos I don't have much desire to go to those two.

In order of favorites for me:

Road america
Putnam
Gingerman
ACC (any configuration, i've done them all)

I haven't been to ACC in over 2 years though, never as intermediate or advanced, so maybe my opinion of it will change when I do the south course this weekend.

The tracks on my list are NCM and, if i feel like spending a lot of money and burning up a lot of vaca time, maybe COTA.

Interesting fact: RA's straight is almost 2x as long as putnam but my top speed was only 15 mph faster at RA than putnam (167 vs 152). That's probably why putnam is my favorite small course...the turns going in to and out of the straight are not 90* so you can carry a lot of speed. RA is a much faster track overall though, i love it. I go every spring for 2 days with STT

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info