• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Got an issue

01BlkGTGP

Regular
Oct 1, 2008
chicago
I got a 1984 buick lesabre that we had for 10years...I recently got it back from my mechanic who installed a 307 in it and a brand new carb full tune up all the emissions were taken out and so was the computer that controlled emissions , new brakes lines fuel lines fuel filter and the gas tank was dropped and cleaned becausr it sat for a few years.

Now the issue:
I can start the car and let it idle with no issues at all but when I drive it for 10mins anf I get to a complete stop more often it jumps to a low idle it starts to chug like its about to die and it pushes out black smoke and if I dont do a small brake torque it will die

I need to know what I could do since this car needs to be my daily driver asap

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
Sounds like it's loading up @ idle.
is the choke coming off when it's warm?
You say the computer was taken out, was the carb replaced with a non-mixture control solenoid quadrajet? Or just disconnected?

If I remember right the 307's of the 80's had a heat tube/heater hose clip to warm the choke coil.
I used to convert quite a few of those to an electric heated choke coil back in the day.

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
You could run the carb w/out the mixture control solenoid working.
Might not get the best mileage but it'll work ok.

I would look @ the choke first, it should be opening up all the way once warmed up.
If it is working, you got some carb issues more than likely.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• 01BlkGTGP
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list