đź“° Auto News Good guy Dodge adds another security level to frequently stolen high horsepower challengers & chargers

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

According to Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis, "More than 150 cars are stolen every day in the United States," which sucks, especially for owners of muscle cars like the Dodge Charger and Challenger, which are often targeted by thieves and joyriders because of their high horsepower. To counter theft, Dodge Tuesday announced a new Security Mode that limits the Hemi engine to idle speed, hindering high-speed getaways and aiding in vehicle recovery.

The feature will be available as a no-charge upgrade for the Challenger and Charger, retroactively applied to 2015-2021 model-year RT Scat Pack models with the 6.4-liter Hemi V8 and SRT Hellcats packing the supercharged 6.2-liter Hemi V8.

While active, Security Mode limits the V8 to idle speed (about 675 rpm), effectively locking the Hemi at around 2.8 horsepower and 22 pound-feet of torque. Restricted to low-speed creeping, Dodge reckons, joyriders will be deterred and even determined thieves will be more easily apprehended by law enforcement without fear of high-speed chases or collisions.

To enable Security Mode, owners can add a four-digit security code to the Uconnect infotainment that activates the new feature and helps protect against key-code-spoofing thieves that steal by replicating the radio signal from the vehicle's electronic fob
. A four-digit pin isn't infallible, but like two-factor authentication on your banking software, this adds an extra barrier of security to frustrate thieves.

The new Security Mode update to be available for free at local Dodge dealerships late in the second quarter of 2021.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Won't this increase car jackings?

Thieves will get their cars....and if they can't get them when their parked, they'll just grab them while they're being driven.
Could be. Either they target other cars....or they get them after the pin has been entered which could mean more victims... Time will tell.

Reactions: Chet Donnelly

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
But you know what will happen?

The dealer will put in a pin or dodge will use a default pin.....and 90% of them will still be the default or dealer pin.

:werd:

and you'll get the enthusiast car-show bros in the safe rural areas needing to enter their codes to start their cars and changing them twice weekly

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
"0000" and "1234" will definitely be 90% or more of people's pins.
giphy.gif

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
"0000" and "1234" will definitely be 90% or more of people's pins.
Just for that, I am going to use 4321...

bUt ItS So aNnNoYiNg HaViNg tO ReMeMbEr aNoThEr PaSsWoRd

you can enable all the security you want, humans are still lazy animals and will do the bare minimum to fulfill the requirements.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
So I see a lot of what is going on with these cars being part of Hellcat forums. A large issue is the neutral pull lever just under the center console for the automatics. What they do is break the window to get in the car or utilize the FOB signal, lift off the cover to expose the neutral pull and pull the lever, from there they push the car out off the spot, then come through with a push car and push the car to an area where they can maybe tow it or somehow get it started.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So I see a lot of what is going on with these cars being part of Hellcat forums. A large issue is the neutral pull lever just under the center console for the automatics. What they do is break the window to get in the car or utilize the FOB signal, lift off the cover to expose the neutral pull and pull the lever, from there they push the car out off the spot, then come through with a push car and push the car to an area where they can maybe tow it or somehow get it started.
Not even close dude, dont believe that shit for a minute. The days of breaking windows to steal a car are long gone. Ive stolen my fair share of cars as a teenager, and even then over 25 years ago we didnt break windows. I know guys still in the game at my age, they are the same guys I was doing it with as a teenager. I'd say 75% of stolen cars of value are taken with tow trucks now a days. These guys arent stupid, they do their homework. They will spot a car, and eventually go park a car in front of it or in back of it pending how they are going to tow it. Then come back later that night move their car and snatch it with the tow truck in 30 seconds. Also they use technology now, they have devices (takes a while) to unlock cars and get them to start with a "dummy key fob". Long process and too much to explain.

These tow truck drivers now a days are like gangs (most are older x bangers). They have hoods and if your caught in their hood chasing accidents. They fight, they shoot at each other and will set other tow trucks on fire to teach them a lesson. "Chasing" is a HUUUGE business now a days. They drive around with scanners and chase accidents. They tow your car to a body shop they chase for. Body shop hits the insurance company with obscene towing and storage charges and its 100% legal. So they got your insurance company by the balls to release the car. These guys have yards all around the city that they hide cars from chasing and stolen cars in. Some crooked ass cops in Chgo even work with these tow truck drivers. They have their personal cell phone numbers and will call them to come tow a car from an accident. The cops tell the other tow trucks who showed up to get the fuck out of here and they have their guys come tow them.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I had a short stint working for a repo place, they’ve got grabbers that’ll flip out of a truck bed or come out from underneath and you’d never notice they were a tow truck. Also they give none fucks about how they do it just as long as it’s done quick.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info