Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

There is nothing life-changing about the way Ragnarök wraps up, but it delivers the same pleasant satisfaction that I get from finishing a Marvel movie that lets me run on autopilot. Even where the game can be frustrating, rote, and uneven, it’s also safe and comforting, like a rerun of Cheers where everyone knows your name and you know that you’ll never get thrown out of the bar. God of War Ragnarök, as the sum of its many disparate and often conflicting parts and influences, isn’t here to reinvent the wheel. But its single-minded desire to emulate all the hallmarks of an epic Hollywood narrative will remain both its biggest weakness and its enduring source of success. And like many, many Hollywood success stories, it shouldn’t feel this weird to say that something of this scope and scale is just OK.

Apart from reinventing a highly complex saga, God of War: Ragnarök manages to reinvent itself with many highly needed improvements. These refinements eventually stack up to deliver a complete experience that makes its predecessor look archaic. With all its splendor and minor shortcomings considered, God of War: Ragnarök manages to set a new standard, striking the right balance between profound storytelling and invigorating gameplay.

An enthralling spectacle to behold and an even more exciting one to take the reins of, God of War Ragnarok melds action and adventure together to create a new, unforgettable Norse saga. Impeccable writing, pitch-perfect performances, knockout action – it’s a complete work of art from top to bottom. Reflecting its core themes, it's everything a sequel should be: respectful of its legendary lineage, but not afraid to take it to exciting new places. God of War Ragnarok is an almighty achievement and creates a new high that makes many of its peers look positively mortal by comparison.

God of War Ragnarok is a beautiful, moving game, no longer purely centered on a father getting to know his son, but also about vengeance, forgiveness and attempting to change both prophecy, and the people we used to be, both of which prove to be equally difficult. It’s almost impossible for me to imagine those who loved the last God of War will not also appreciate this one just as much, minus a lagging stretch here or there, and the fact that it can’t be as transformative as the initial leap from the Greek games.

When I look at this game and compare it to its predecessor, God of War, Ragnarök feels like what God of War was supposed to be. This narrative of a terrible man trying to ensure his son does not repeat his mistakes while on this epic journey is better reflected in Ragnarök than in the first game. There were so many great moments, large and small, that left me breathless, like I had experienced the very best of what video games can be in both narrative and gameplay. When non-gaming people find out what I do for a living, they usually ask me for recommendations if someone wanted to understand the appeal of video games. I don’t keep a list; that’s too hard a question to answer because video games encompass so much, and what Sonic or Mario or Joel may do for one person will almost certainly not work for another. But despite its design frustrations and perfectly fine, if ho-hum, combat, God of War Ragnarök is now on that list.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I haven't bought a new game since gt7 and it's that time of year. I beat the hell out of the original and got the special armors and all that. Can't remember what they were but I know the one place was like a poison time limit kinda thing

I've thought about going back to that poison area to get all the shit thats in there. Seems like it would take a long time tho ? I do still have some other side missions and shit I still wanna get thru.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I've thought about going back to that poison area to get all the shit thats in there. Seems like it would take a long time tho ? I do still have some other side missions and shit I still wanna get thru.
If I remember right there was an ungodly amount of time wrapped up in that game but having that armor was OP af you could just walk through anything you wanted after that

Reactions: IDAFC21

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
And I am DONE w/ the 2018 GOW story mode. So glad I went back to it. The ending was amazing, and perfectly sets up Ragnarok. Still have other side activities to keep me busy until Ragnarok is out, which is a little over 3 weeks away now! :run: :run:

Your turn Fish Fish
Man Boy turns into a little fucking shit. Can I slap him? ??

Reactions: sktchy
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info