god damn cold weather

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
but isnt that bad....

Cars run best, and have the most power at 'optimum' running temperature, so you are loosing power if you're motor can't warm up. so long as the car doesn't exceed its optimum temperature you can block off all you want. Think about how my honda has a half-size radiator but still only gets 1/4th the way up on crazy days like this. Its not any more 'advanced' of a design than a full-size radiator, my motor just doesn't need that much cooling.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
my car cranked over just fine, a little slow but good. 1 month old battery FTW.

But driving was another story. After I let it run for a minute or two, I backed out, got it into Drive then went forward and let off to make the right turn and that's where it usualy goes into 2nd. I got on the gas a bit and the car was slowing down and I thought I might have been spinning a bit in the snow but actually trany completely quit. put it into park then drive, no-go. did this is autostick, no-go. I thought it was dead. Then I tried once more and It worked fine.... wtf...

my car really sucks in the cold. My pops said it's been the worst car for cold he's ever had and it's been weird since he got it new...

AND my heated seats aren't working! I hate DC.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Mine cranks slowly initially but then fires right up. Battery is one-year old and stock replacement from Advance Auto. Other than that it runs like a champ, but I think there's some blockage in my HVAC vents, the blower motor is at full blast but the air stream seems a little weak.

Anything below 35 degrees I don't really get on it. I don't know how bad the A/F could get messed up with the cold air, but without a way to tune I just stay out of it in the really cold temps.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Dont know if its worth it or anything, but I also have a yellow top Optima battery.
Niceee. what'd that run you? About $200?

Priced the redtops today, they're like $150.

Got my car back from the dealership, aparentally the battery is under warrenty until like 30ksome miles...Anyway, they said it was discharged, so they charged it, adn my positive cable was loose...:dunno:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Niceee. what'd that run you? About $200?

Priced the redtops today, they're like $150.

Got my car back from the dealership, aparentally the battery is under warrenty until like 30ksome miles...Anyway, they said it was discharged, so they charged it, adn my positive cable was loose...:dunno:

Came with the car. :D So I guess you can say it was a 5K battery. :rofl:

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
My dad keeps saying to me about how his and my mom's car love the garage again...and how nicely they start in the morning, and how quickly they warm up.

They're lucky I'm at school, because otherwise one of their cars would be stuck in the driveway over night. For some reason every car I've owned was deemed a garage spot :D

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
My DD (the alero) HATES this weather, its putting the last nails in the coffin for the trans.

Cranks Slow, when it starts the ps pump screams for a second then goes away, sounds like a lifter is knocking, then i back it out the driveway and it wont go into drive for like 5 seconds (slow counting) and the shifts are getting erattic.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Your PCM will try to compensate if you go WOT. Im actually gonna hook my PT up tonight and get a good scan to see whats going on. Expecting my LTFTs to be all over the place.

Sounds good. I'm curious to see what's going on. I've read that it is possible to be too cold. The air is too dense and you'll run lean, or at least I've heard that a few places. It sounds logical, but I couldn't give you an exact reasoning or how bad it would be.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info