GMC Hummer EV set to debut tonight

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
towing across s dakota/wyoming i had a few "zomg we gonna make it?! " moments.

pull into a gas station that's on interstate signs/the map, and have them have the pumps off like

giphy.gif

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

pull into a gas station that's on interstate signs/the map, and have them have the pumps off like

giphy.gif

Had it on the way home in Minnesota, sign said next exit had gas in 32 miles or something like that, said "no worries, I have 68 to empty".....

Get to that exit and the fucking exit is closed. DOH!

Maybe put a sign on the previous one so people know to fill up now? Bastards.

zooomer

Sep 30, 2008
I like the specs and cool factor but the truck isn't viable IMHO.
It uses a 200KW battery pack to go like 300 miles. You can't even charge that overnight at home w/o some really expensive home upgrades. A 100KW takes 10hrs as it is.
Then on the road, say you're towing or weather is bad, you get 200 miles??? Even at a fast charger, it's going to take way too long to fill.

Cool idea but just doesn't make the mark

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Just toss one of these in the back. 5Kw, and it'll run for 32 hours at 50% load on a full tank, so roughly only 80 hours to charge to full if you're in the middle of nowhere, so you'll need to pack about 25 gallons of diesel with you.

• Haha
Reactions: Yaj Yak

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
The whole problem with the poor range with huge battery isnt well understood though. Efficiency is still a huge deal. Some people look at that 300+ mile range and 250kw charging and say great! But when you’re using 200kwh to get that range, it means that it takes 2x as long to charge as a vehicle that gets the same range with a 100kwh pack. That’s a big deal. So even in an electric hummer efficiency matters not for the environment, but for customer convenience

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
I like the specs and cool factor but the truck isn't viable IMHO.
It uses a 200KW battery pack to go like 300 miles. You can't even charge that overnight at home w/o some really expensive home upgrades. A 100KW takes 10hrs as it is.
Then on the road, say you're towing or weather is bad, you get 200 miles??? Even at a fast charger, it's going to take way too long to fill.

Cool idea but just doesn't make the mark

If someone is spending over $100K on an electric truck I think they probably will not care much about the cost to outfit their home to charge it. However, I saw this in the press release:

HUMMER EV will have the ability to take advantage of the industry’s fastest 350-kilowatt DC fast chargers. This vehicle will offer a GM-estimated 350+ miles of range based on preliminary testing, with a unique ability to switch its battery pack from its native 400-volts to 800-volts for charging. A disconnect unit and mechanization within the pack enables the battery to switch from “parallel” to “series,” allowing it to add nearly 100 miles of range in 10 minutes of charging

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious

giphy.gif

Happened to me twice in middle of nowhere western Canada. Ended up just sleeping in the car until they opened.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Thought we had a newer thread on the revised Hummer...

FFS how is a technician supposed to work on that? The bolt battery is 1000 lbs and is already at the limit of our equipment at the shop. Our lifting table is rated for 1700lbs. they expect dealers to buy another larger one? Not to mention buying a forklift that can lift 3000 lbs on long forks without tipping.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
FFS how is a technician supposed to work on that? The bolt battery is 1000 lbs and is already at the limit of our equipment at the shop. Our lifting table is rated for 1700lbs. they expect dealers to buy another larger one? Not to mention buying a forklift that can lift 3000 lbs on long forks without tipping.

It’s a GM they never break don’t worry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info