• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

GM techs step in - 09 traverse spark plug tube leak

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
so i've got this 09 traverse 3.6l 105k miles sitting in my bay now with a cylinder misfire under load, mainly at highway speed. plugs are original. simple job right? so i yank the intake to do plugs, pull the coil off and find this
20150219_100757.jpg

pull the plug out and it's soaked with oil. fuck. awesome.
looks to be the lower tube seal leaking oil, but reading online it seems these aren't serviceable. my question is how common is this? and is a head replacement the only solution? are ignition coils common on these?
also, do these have PCV problems? oil is pooled in the intake snorkle right where the PCV tube connects, and the intake valves look fucking filthy too.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yeah that goes all the way back to the first plug tubes for the hemi's and other valvetrain enclosed plugs. saturns, honda's, etc.

pretty common issue for the recessed plugs of today...basically the design uses a loctite type sealant, not always applied properly on a mass production scale works long enough to get out of warranty.

small seeps like that are normal, when its high enough to coat the rubber insulator around the plug boot is the only time it causes an issue in most cases.

i just blow em out (took 105k to get to that tiny bit) and toss in sil glyd'd plug and wire boot.

only "quick fix" ive ever seen was a co worker who cleaned the shit outta the plug tubes (plug in-never removed till after cleaning for a smearing of grease under the washer)
he then dumped a thing of the liquid superglue in there, put his radiator tester (universal expandable ones) in there and pressurized it to 15-20psi for a minute.

he popped it off and blew the living shit out of it to remove the puddle of superglue and pulled the plug to make sure the grease kept the glue out of the plug seat/threads.
tossed in a new plug and he was done.

this was on his neon, only one tube was leaking enough to fill the tube to the wire boot

if i found one bad enough thats probably what id do...

in your case i wouldnt bother, that likely wasnt the misfire cause.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
yeah i dunno about dumping superglue in the tube :rofl:
there was a lot more oil in that tube before taking the picture. the bottom of the coil boot was soaked.
i blew it out and am going to put it back together with the ignition coil from the problem cylinder in an accessible cylinder. hopefully she trades this POS in before it's an issue again.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yeah i dunno about dumping superglue in the tube :rofl:
there was a lot more oil in that tube before taking the picture. the bottom of the coil boot was soaked.
i blew it out and am going to put it back together with the ignition coil from the problem cylinder in an accessible cylinder.

it was a dodge...fuckit

any visible carbon tracking?

hopefully she trades this POS in before it's an issue again.

sadly thats why id be very leery about a used car....you can look for alot of pattern failures but its so god damn often that i see something slapdashed to be traded in...usually for another used car :picard:

there are going to be so many scrap cars in the next couple decades...120k and 80% of the car is 90% fucked

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• bikrboy128
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list