I’m the f-ing lizard king
Staff member
TCG Premium
Super Moderator
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
So my 2009 LTZ has z55 electronic dampers with auto leveling out back. Turns out both bags are blown but the dampers still show being functional with my scanner. My compressor is also dead. I never realized because I’m usually riding empty but had it full of people and it didn’t auto level.

ANYWAYS, I’m trying to decide if it’s worth sticking with stock stuff or going with helper bags and probably fox 2.0 or bilstein 5100’s. It rides fine now but in the future I may lower it because I miss having a lowered hoe but I may just leave it alone because I shouldn’t fuck with my dailies as much as I always do.

Wwtcgd?

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Arnott sells both, the compressor and the rear air shocks. They also sell a conversion kit to go back to normal springs/shocks, while eliminating the warning light.

If you're set on lowering it, now might be the time. Or, just convert it back to a conventional spring/shock setup. How often are you running around fully loaded and get a bit of squat that really needs helper bags?

Bob Kazamakis

Staff member
TCG Premium
Super Moderator
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Arnott sells both, the compressor and the rear air shocks. They also sell a conversion kit to go back to normal springs/shocks, while eliminating the warning light.

If you're set on lowering it, now might be the time. Or, just convert it back to a conventional spring/shock setup. How often are you running around fully loaded and get a bit of squat that really needs helper bags?
I’m aware of what I can buy. You can buy brand new gm replacements for $320 with a lifetime warranty. Arnott is 2 year and $250 or so.

I don’t want some shit passive shock setup from Monroe or arnott. I’d at least like something a bit nicer, I have no problem going with new springs and helpers.

About every 3 months my family comes and visits. 7 people in the car was enough to get the rear to rub without auto leveling. Most likely because the springs are softer than like a zw7 basic setup to allow the auto leveling to help take up spring rate

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I’m aware of what I can buy. You can buy brand new gm replacements for $320 with a lifetime warranty. Arnott is 2 year and $250 or so.

I don’t want some shit passive shock setup from Monroe or arnott. I’d at least like something a bit nicer, I have no problem going with new springs and helpers.

About every 3 months my family comes and visits. 7 people in the car was enough to get the rear to rub without auto leveling. Most likely because the springs are softer than like a zw7 basic setup to allow the auto leveling to help take up spring rate
The nice Arnott conversion kit uses Eibach's. But yeah, if you're rolling 7 deep on a conventional setup, you shouldn't rub, but will likely get the Carolina Squat. What lowering kits were you looking at and how low would you go?

Bob Kazamakis

Staff member
TCG Premium
Super Moderator
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
My last Tahoe I did a 2/3 drop using belltech knuckles, rear springs and shock drop brackets.

I just don’t know if I want to spend the money on replacement shit or go to a bilstein or fox. Probably be about the same price after replacing the shocks and compressor vs shocks/springs/helper bags but then I don’t have to worry about the rest of the system shitting out and nickel and diming me.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
My last Tahoe I did a 2/3 drop using belltech knuckles, rear springs and shock drop brackets.

I just don’t know if I want to spend the money on replacement shit or go to a bilstein or fox. Probably be about the same price after replacing the shocks and compressor vs shocks/springs/helper bags but then I don’t have to worry about the rest of the system shitting out and nickel and diming me.
I vote lower it.

Thread Info

• Bob Kazamakis
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list