Gm gets loan for $9.4B

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
copypaste from cobaltss.net where i saw it -

Not sure if this is like a quadruple repost or not, but today GM and Chrysler were given approval for a total $17.4B loan. 9.4 for GM right now, 4 for Chrysler right now, and 4 left over for when they need it. Ford didnt want any money.

Terms of the loan. http://www.treasury.gov/press/releases/hp1333.htm

Lotsa pretty neat stuf in their.......million dollar salary caps, no bonuses, commintments to show how they are gonna meet fuel economy and emissions standards due by 2/17/09.....good reading

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Reaction score
Now if only people could get their spelling and grammar to a respectable grade level. I'm no Language Arts teacher, but come on.

Spicy McHaggiz

The Gangs All Here!
Reaction score
Fuel economy and emissions standards are stupid as fuck. Part of the reason why they spend the money they do to create shit to conform to bullshit guidelines to prevent something that isn't happening.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Reaction score
But Al gore said it is happening, it must be true:hsugh:

nature puts out the green house gases on its own, the planet naturally changes, but hey, if we can blame it on "Evil Corporations" why not.....:picard:

Here, read this article, lots of good info:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/c_d_columns/c_mon_everybody_let_s_blame_cars_column

The average human exhales about 2.2 pounds of CO2 every day. Mother Nature is an even bigger emitter. If you add up all of man's CO2-producing activities — all of our combustion and brewing and baking, all of our Weber kettles and weed whackers and Mosquito Magnets, plus all of our ranting, raving, and fulminating — we generate only about 1/30th of Mother Nature's output. Decay is her big thing. She invented the compost pile. When formerly living organisms die and decompose, they give off CO2.

It's hard to imagine a compound more natural than CO2. Animals breathe it out, plants breathe it in. No one leaves home without it. Indeed, no one leaves this earthly existence without making a final contribution of it to the atmosphere as we return to the dust from which we started.

Last edited:

Poopshinanigans

Reaction score
I'm all for better fuel economy and using less of a finite fuel. But can we do without all these fucking air bags and such? Reduced weight without having to use exotic materials will help every aspect of the cars.

Just my .02. I drive a PT so safety really isn't a high selling point for me on cars.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Reaction score
I'm all for better fuel economy and using less of a finite fuel. But can we do without all these fucking air bags and such? Reduced weight without having to use exotic materials will help every aspect of the cars.

Just my .02. I drive a PT so safety really isn't a high selling point for me on cars.
Aluminum used to be an "Exotic Material" to car manufacturing, look at Carbon fiber, all is relative, if they start using anything, it will be produced on such a scale that it will come down in price rapidly and be less "exotic"

In reality there are only two ways for them to meet the 35mpg CAFE ratings

1. All vehicles are a hybrid system
2. All vehicles will be light, look at the mid and late 80's Hondas, they got 40+ mpg, cause they weighed 1800lbs, weight is such a huge factor, and it always seems to be overlooked

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Reaction score
yea, i read in the paper that all the automakers got help. but thats just the paper, what do they know

Spicy McHaggiz

The Gangs All Here!
Reaction score

nature puts out the green house gases on its own, the planet naturally changes, but hey, if we can blame it on "Evil Corporations" why not.....:picard:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/c_d_columns/c_mon_everybody_let_s_blame_cars_column
lol.

I wonder what the idiots are thinking with this colder then avg winter and snow in Las Vegas, Malibu, and even Louisiana as of late? :hsugh:

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
not that i'm all about global warming, but the obvious answer to the winter is that it's just a blip in a trend.

Poopshinanigans

Reaction score
The ice caps seem to be melting, but doesn't any scientist worth his salt know that the earth goes through cycles of hot and cold? I just watched "The Day The Earth Stood Still", i'm an expert of this shit now.

bluzohh6

The system works
Reaction score
maybe the government can have some pull in gm not making any more crappy cars

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Reaction score

Only 1/30th? Think about the amount of 'nature' covering the earth and think about how much humans occupy. Considering the difference, humans accounting for 1/30th of the CO2 produced is quite large. To say that we don't have a significant contribution to airborne pollutants (including natural gasses such as CO2) is just ignorant.

I'm also not into the whole global warming bullshit, but I am all for doing what we can to prevent making things worse than they need to be. I'll agree that some of the most recently proposed CAFE regulations and emissions standards are absurdly drastic given the amount of time manufacturers have to meet them, but higher standards are most definitely necessary.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
maybe the government can have some pull in gm not making any more crappy cars
maybe you should watch that top gear i just saw, i think it was under on demand for BBC. they were trying to find out if communism ever produced a decent car and found the best of the best!

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Reaction score
LET'S CONTINUE TO GIVE AWARDS FOR EPIC FAILURE! Al Gore is a clown. There are reports that show both growth and loss of the polar ice caps. I don't think we should destroy our atmosphere, but a lot of todays cars put out cleaner air than what went into them in the first place!

Poopshinanigans

Reaction score
Govt mandated cars will be crappier
Isn't the domestics in the shitter because bean counters ran the show for a short time?

I like what GM is doing, the Volt is coming out. Come hell or high water that fucking car is going to be produced. Either they survive or go down in a blaze of glory.

bluzohh6

The system works
Reaction score
you guys are dumb, I was being sarcastic, I was making that comment because I am completely against all of the bailouts. Goldman Sachs was just found to be using their bailout money to pay bonuses. Im so happy our government thinks they are the end all solution to everything.

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Reaction score
you guys are dumb, I was being sarcastic, I was making that comment because I am completely against all of the bailouts. Goldman Sachs was just found to be using their bailout money to pay bonuses. Im so happy our government thinks they are the end all solution to everything.
You are dumb for no knowing anything about economics... :hsugh:

bluzohh6

The system works
Reaction score
really economics of bailing out our economy? didn't realize it entailed paying out bonuses. have you ever had an econ class? finance classes, other than at some community college? Doubt it so shut it. Good thing you think you have some perfect understanding of a topic you hear about on the news. Next asshole please

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Reaction score
Hahaha, :hsugh: would indicate sarcasm :) I'm not for the bailout either.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
it is ridiculous that they are still paying out bonuses - and dividends! - at these companies.

Spicy McHaggiz

The Gangs All Here!
Reaction score
The ice caps seem to be melting, but doesn't any scientist worth his salt know that the earth goes through cycles of hot and cold? I just watched "The Day The Earth Stood Still", i'm an expert of this shit now.
Seem to eh? You'll be glad to know they did not melt this past year, they actually increased.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm really suffering from global warming today, absolutely sweltering.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom