GM cluster repair

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
What's the cluster doing? In my Escalade I had an issue where all the gauges would lose power. It was just a couple chip resistors I had to resolder. The LEDs aren't bad to do, I put red ones in mine. Just don't do it to the turn signals and cruise control like I did. Still need to buy a few white LEDs and fix that.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
I just know peeps that do it, but I think I've read somewhere that you don't want to use a normal hot soldering tool to do it. You want the cool one.

IceCreamAssassin

FBMM
Donating Member
Reaction score
I wanted to try it on our gmc at work, but they decided to just send it out. Let me know how bad it is.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
What's the cluster doing? In my Escalade I had an issue where all the gauges would lose power. It was just a couple chip resistors I had to resolder. The LEDs aren't bad to do, I put red ones in mine. Just don't do it to the turn signals and cruise control like I did. Still need to buy a few white LEDs and fix that.
my indicators all seem to work.

speedo & tach work

fuel, oil, temp, battery, & trans do not

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
yeah if it's just single gauges constantly you're probably on the right track. In my case the whole dash went out.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
i fucked it all up.

bought a stepper motor kit off amazon and pulled the cluster yesterday morning to do them all. pretty easy. but , now the tach doesnt work, and all the gauges that didnt work previously now work, but read all wonky.

ill just have to suck it up and make the drive to cicero after all, fuck.

HILROD

Reaction score
You need to plug the cluster in with the lens off. Then you can turn the ignition on and let the dash cycle. It's easiest to do when the vehicle is cold and reset the needles to zero. I do it lightly as they can be hard to get off. Sadly my own speedo is off and have been too lazy to ever fix it.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
You need to plug the cluster in with the lens off. Then you can turn the ignition on and let the dash cycle. It's easiest to do when the vehicle is cold and reset the needles to zero. I do it lightly as they can be hard to get off. Sadly my own speedo is off and have been too lazy to ever fix it.
yup. did that. tach still took a shit and i dont have any more stepper motors or the patients to play with the alignment of the others.

HILROD

Reaction score
The place I have used in Addison won't fix customer messed with clusters, I bought a truck that was previously messed with and he said flat out no. Had to pick up a junk yard core to do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom