GM Chrome :bowdown:

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
10+ year old stock GM chrome. Every winter i think these wheels are done for, then i spend ten minutes a wheel with some Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and a t-shirt and they're good for another year. Neglect has never been so great.

greasy

LTTR BOX
Donating Member
Reaction score
Those are holding up really well! I have seen all different kinds of chrome wheels (Ford, GM, etc...) flake. It almost seems like a roll of the dice.

OP
DanJoy

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've always heard that factory chrome is a lot more resilient than the chrome on aftermarket wheels (most of the time). Cruising to work shortly on three bling bling rims and a rusty grimey rim.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
I was super surprised how well my 04 GPGT wheels cleaned up after getting the car. Looked brand new after a little polishing. Looks great!

The Italian

But not Italian
Donating Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I need to clean mine up as soon as it stops friggin raining.

Newb question - chrome wheels are powdercoatable, arent they? I really want to get mine done.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Reaction score
Looks a ton better! GM chrome wheels suck ass, mine are starting to peel pretty bad.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
Without a doubt. GM's not the greatest either, it cleans up great if it's in tact, but goddamnit does it peel at the bead.
Yup, the chrome wheels on my SS lasted about 3 years before they wouldn't even hold a seal anymore.

OP
DanJoy

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pictured rim needs air once a week, I'm hopin it's just because it was plugged a couple years ago.

Theautoguy

Reaction score
Ten years and they're still holding up? That's a good length of time for GM chrome.

My old Regal rims started peeling on the back side about 6 years ago. I junked them last year because the rear bead ring was literally turning to powder! Yet, the fronts all looked great.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
:rofl: my special edition wheels are fucked, that chrome fucking sucks.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Reaction score
Ten years and they're still holding up? That's a good length of time for GM chrome.

My old Regal rims started peeling on the back side about 6 years ago. I junked them last year because the rear bead ring was literally turning to powder! Yet, the fronts all looked great.
I'm hoping that's not the case for me. When the wheels were on the car I had to fill one of the rear tires about once every 10 days or so. I'm hoping the crocodile skin cracked tires were the culprits.

Jfrost

Fiero's are addicting
Reaction score
Without a doubt. GM's not the greatest either, it cleans up great if it's in tact, but goddamnit does it peel at the bead.
One of the reasons I'll be hard pressed to ever get a vehicle with factory chrome. Polished aluminum all the way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom