• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

GM 5.3 Active Fuel Management Issues

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Anyone familiar with the AFM on the GM 5.3 engines? Read that some engines grenade due to the AFM and some if caught in time just need new lifters and possibly a new cam. Is the issue common or just sporadic? Dodge has had this (MDS) for over 10 years and havent seen or heard of these issues on them.

Was really considering a 2012-2015 Tahoe something in the $20k-$25k range after the Cat sells for a work vehicle. Most at that price are at 80,000-100,000 miles. I dont want to buy a ticking time bomb, for that I could keep my 05 Yukon and drive it to the wheels fall off. But I have someone that wants to give me $7k for my Yukon on top of what money I have from the Cat selling I could add some dough and just buy something at $20k for cash.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
New lifters and cam is the most common issue. I think it seems bigger than it is simply because GM makes so many of them across several displacements that have this. Throw enough shit at a wall and eventually something sticks.

I have the LS4 version in the Impala (I know, different than a truck...) with AFM and it is now in the 150k mile range. I'm more worried about the trans in it than I am it suffering the AFM issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info