GM 5.3 Active Fuel Management Issues

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the AFM on the GM 5.3 engines? Read that some engines grenade due to the AFM and some if caught in time just need new lifters and possibly a new cam. Is the issue common or just sporadic? Dodge has had this (MDS) for over 10 years and havent seen or heard of these issues on them.

Was really considering a 2012-2015 Tahoe something in the $20k-$25k range after the Cat sells for a work vehicle. Most at that price are at 80,000-100,000 miles. I dont want to buy a ticking time bomb, for that I could keep my 05 Yukon and drive it to the wheels fall off. But I have someone that wants to give me $7k for my Yukon on top of what money I have from the Cat selling I could add some dough and just buy something at $20k for cash.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
New lifters and cam is the most common issue. I think it seems bigger than it is simply because GM makes so many of them across several displacements that have this. Throw enough shit at a wall and eventually something sticks.

I have the LS4 version in the Impala (I know, different than a truck...) with AFM and it is now in the 150k mile range. I'm more worried about the trans in it than I am it suffering the AFM issues.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Getting it tuned out can help, also pretty frequent oil changes helps out with that system.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
That's what I've kept it to with the LS4. 3k.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
from what i hear its really hit of miss if you will have an issue. if you dont have an issue by 100k your most likely good to go, most have issues early on 30-50k range.

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
Change more often than every 3000 miles?
I have the v6 in a 14 and my brothrr has the v8 in a 15. I have 76k and he has 50k. *Knock on wood* oil change every 5k and we both don't burn any or notice any drop in performance

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Change more often than every 3000 miles?
yea or do 5k and once a year perform a oil flush. you might be able to get away with 5k if its a highway truck and you pick a great oil with a good detergent package. gumming up the lifters is what we dont want.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
That and wasnt piston rings frying out an issue as well.

Lifter failure caused cam damage, fryed rings caused oil consumption.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom