Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Started this last night. I'm always a sucker for all things Japanese and this involves murder and the Yakuza so I had to check it out.

Only watched the first episode but I'm definitely hooked. Its shot in some cool ways, with stylized flashbacks and even some cartoonish effects. A lot of it is in subtitles but there is English as well. Added bonus, its in Vision and Atmos.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I finished this up yesterday...man, what started out as a random selection on Netflix rapidly turned into an obsession. This was a fantastic show. It took the worn out crime drama and injected new life into it with fantastic character development (even the background characters), an involving story, actual consequences, and an ending that is completely unique. The way it was shot, the heavily stylized scene changes, the random animated scenes, it all makes for a season of TV that is both refreshing and exciting. Its a mix of tried and true, Guy Ritchie humor (think Snatch for example) and Japanese culture.

Will there be a season 2? Not sure...the finale wraps up everything nicely. I could see them doing a second season with a new cast of characters but they would need to do a big enough change from the core story to not make it feel like a rehash - kind of like how Fargo works on FX.

This is also one of the best examples of using Dolby Vision I've come across. Inky blacks and shadows, colorful cities and the two or three times we see a night shot involving snow, its incredible.

I strongly recommend checking this out, and even if you arent initially hooked (I can see how this show isnt for everyone), stick with it - the back half of the season is a non stop roller-coaster.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Finally finished this up tonight. It was really good. Dont think I can explain it any better than Mike already has. The performances from all the actors were fantastic. Story was great. A couple twists came outta nowhere that I wasnt expecting. And everything wrapped up the way it should have.

Reactions: Mook
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Mook
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list