Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Scrap it

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
you got this far with the car, just put a new gasket on it and work out the problem, its the fun of working on modded cars.

Its Very true, I love working on my car no matter what it looks like, or how slow it is, its fun, and that civic has alot of history being in my family since it was new.

Now due to the events of this weekend, I am able to keep the Honda after all, last week when the Honda let go, That was Kim's only means of transportation. Her father offered to pay for the title and insurance on the SHO Taurus I bought her in Dec, so I repaired that car, and had it road-worthy by saturday mid-day.

This means the pressure for money to get a running car for Kim is off, and I can throw a tarp over the honda untill spring.

So What the Fuck do I do with it?

My train of thought is 2-sided:

The motor is coming out of the car, and either the whole thing, or the block are getting replaced.

Keep in mind, cost is important to this project as I can't pour all my money into it, but Time is not an issue since we both have reliable cars now and don't need the third car.

Currently it has a D15B8 block with a D16Y8 head and a CX Transmission with most work being done to the head and exhaust.

Option A) I Pickup a D16Z6 block and strap my Y8 head to it, and get my EX tranny rebuilt with a decent clutch and toss it all back into the car again (Although there may still be a small chance of some timing issues due to the 'half tooth error'?) This will allow me to reuse my head-studs, and I have an adjustable cam gear and would be able to bring the car to someone to get its timing set and tuned since it can sit untill I can afford that.

Option B) I pickup a D16Y8 block, and strap my Y8 head to it (Still getting my EX tranny rebuilt with a decent clutch) and toss it all back into the car again, not having to worry about that 'half tooth' error crap, but spending another $136 on headstuds which would include 1 more Z6 stud to make it so I have 8 Z6 studs, and 8 Y8 studs so I can sell the Z6 set.

Option C) I pickup a Wrecked LS or GSR Integra at auction (I have a connection to get cars from the states largest dealer-only auction) for 1500-2000, I could have the car delivered to me for like $400 bucks if I win the bidding (my hookup brings his car trailer with him each time, but doesn't work for a dealer so only buys choice cars for himself or friends) and let the honda sit out this entire season while I save up money to do this and get the teggy engine rebuilt. This would also mean that every single part I've purchased for the car would now be useless such as the trans, the Y8 head I had rebuilt, the intake/header/UDP and ECU would need to be rechipped.

Only things I've heard about the Z6 and Y8 blocks is the Z6 oil pump is sturdier than the Y8's, any other input between those 2 blocks?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
so what the hell are options a b or c?

Option A) I Pickup a D16Z6 block and strap my Y8 head to it, and get my EX tranny rebuilt with a decent clutch and toss it all back into the car again (Although there may still be a small chance of some timing issues due to the 'half tooth error'?) This will allow me to reuse my head-studs, and I have an adjustable cam gear and would be able to bring the car to someone to get its timing set and tuned since it can sit untill I can afford that.

Option B) I pickup a D16Y8 block, and strap my Y8 head to it (Still getting my EX tranny rebuilt with a decent clutch) and toss it all back into the car again, not having to worry about that 'half tooth' error crap, but spending another $136 on headstuds which would include 1 more Z6 stud to make it so I have 8 Z6 studs, and 8 Y8 studs so I can sell the Z6 set.

Option C) I pickup a Wrecked LS or GSR Integra at auction (I have a connection to get cars from the states largest dealer-only auction) for 1500-2000, I could have the car delivered to me for like $400 bucks if I win the bidding (my hookup brings his car trailer with him each time, but doesn't work for a dealer so only buys choice cars for himself or friends) and let the honda sit out this entire season while I save up money to do this and get the teggy engine rebuilt. This would also mean that every single part I've purchased for the car would now be useless such as the trans, the Y8 head I had rebuilt, the intake/header/UDP and ECU would need to be rechipped.

TURBOC1

Addict
Oct 23, 2007
Marengo,IL
the only down side to the y8 is that they have oil problems. There are aftermarket oil pumps for this or you can mod the stock one. If you go turbo on the d series you can build them to make power so cheap. for the 1500- 2000 you would spend on the b swap you can build and turbo the d series and be much faster.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
the only down side to the y8 is that they have oil problems. There are aftermarket oil pumps for this or you can mod the stock one. If you go turbo on the d series you can build them to make power so cheap. for the 1500- 2000 you would spend on the b swap you can build and turbo the d series and be much faster.

Thats exactly what I was planning on doing, if I go option A or B, I'd buy the parts for it bit by bit over this season, and then get it all ready over winter. opposed to if I do a B swap I'd have to have all the money up front basically to buy a complete car or setup to make life easiest.

Would a Z6 be a better option since it doesn't have oil problems and I won't have to wire the Knock sensor?

And TURBOC1, Do you know anyone selling any Z6 Blocks? I'd rather buy a block that someone already knows is good and just reuse it instead of having to buy one from someone I don't know and cant trust or from a junkyard and have to rebuild it.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I know, but I have 9 Z6 studs and 1 Y8 stud already, it'd cost $135 shipped to buy 9 Y8 studs, and 1 Z6 stud so I have 2 full sets so I can sell off the Z6 studs to make some of my money back. Realistically I could use the Z6 studs so long as they are short enough to stay under the valve cover..

How bad are the oil problems on the Y8? My goal once turbo is 175-180whp, so its not like I want something that needs to withstand crazy pressure.

and could you PM me, or Email me at [email protected] with Details on the Y8 block?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I don't know much about the specific head packages, blocks, cams and whatnot of Honda/Acuras, but if I had that little hatch I would skip all the mismatching head/block BS and just get a bone stock 170 hp/160 hp GSR or Si engine/trans. Drop it in and have a nice little hot rod :dunno:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Yeah, that's easy "to say". :rolleyes:

He never mentioned getting brand new pistons and rods and doing it "right" did he? Nope.
He already has a money pit- that is just sitting. That's alot of fun. :biggthump:

edit: it's "a long time" not "along time". :rolleyes:

I admit I never mentioned anything about doing it 'right' but the mis-matched shit has got to go and I did the head 'right' I just fucked up on the Mini-me stuff honestly. I'm picking up a Y8 block from TURBOC1 by the looks of it, and its already disassembled, so either it will get new rings and bearings when its rebuilt, or I'll pick up built stuff, that way I can space out where I'm spending my money, and how much I'd be spending.

So by the sounds of it, when its all said and done, I'll just have a D16Y8 engine with a EX Transmission hopefully before summer. (Tax return, pleeeease oh please)

Last edited:

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
I admit I never mentioned anything about doing it 'right' but the mis-matched shit has got to go and I did the head 'right' I just fucked up on the Mini-me stuff honestly. I'm picking up a Y8 block from TURBOC1 by the looks of it, and its already disassembled, so either it will get new rings and bearings when its rebuilt, or I'll pick up built stuff, that way I can space out where I'm spending my money, and how much I'd be spending.

So by the sounds of it, when its all said and done, I'll just have a D16Y8 engine with a EX Transmission hopefully before summer. (Tax return, pleeeease oh please)
I'd rather pay $500 for an untouched motor with intake manifold, alternator, throttle body and get a free working EX tranny and drop it all it over a weekend. Done.
But go ahead and piece together a Y8 engine and hopefully it comes out right and rebuild the EX tranny you have. Good luck!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'd rather pay $500 for an untouched motor with intake manifold, alternator, throttle body and get a free working EX tranny and drop it all it over a weekend. Done.
But go ahead and piece together a Y8 engine and hopefully it comes out right and rebuild the EX tranny you have. Good luck!

I learned my lesson, hence why I'm getting it done right, and getting the correct block for my head, but as far as buying a complete drop-in motor, There is a slight flaw, People lie.

They don't exist, people can tell you they work great, but when the time comes and You throw it in your car and you turn the key you HOPE it starts. Its a risk, and then it can cost you another $500 to get rebuilt anyways...

I'd rather buy all the pieces and bring it to a shop to be rebuilt with the sturdier stuff from the ground up, or just bring it to them all disassembled with fresh seals, rings, and bearings, and let them just build me a brand new D16Y8 from the ground up.

Also, people don't hand out free EX transmissions, and even if I pay $150 for one that I was told "Works great" and put it on my car and it grinds second and third, I'd have to go through all the work to remove it again and get it rebuilt anyways.

I paid $30 for an EX tranny that needs a new shift-fork, thats not a bad deal.

Thread Info