• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Getting BLOWN !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMBLUE

Regular
Apr 27, 2011
Finally.... Getting the hair dryer put in the MM. Over the course of a 4 months or so, I've been gathering up parts. Got some good deals from friends on MM.net. A shout out to Levi for the good deal on the hair dryer NOVI 1200 polished. It's been a challenge to do especially being over here.

And a HUGE thank you to Landy for putting it in for me and tracking down all the little BS parts and getting the pipes custom fabbed. His time and devotion to putting this together for me is incredible :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:. It's in the final stages right now, and is going to the tuner today. We'll see what she's got.

Attachments

• MM.jpg
    MM.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 191

musclemerc

Addict
Jan 6, 2010
^^^One other thing to add to my comments above. What was the plug gap set at? I'm assuming the plugs were changed (or re-gapped) before the dyno tune. If the cam covers were leaking that much oil onto the COPs it was'nt noticed when the plugs were removed and reinstalled? Either way that (leaky cam cover gaskets) will not cause rod knock (it sounds like they broke a piston/or ring)

Running lean with too much base timing will cause this issue

LANDY

Sep 25, 2011
Here we go. When i changed the plugs to tr6 that were gapped at .35 there was no signs of oil on the boot. I pay close attention to detail. One thing is runinng the car n/a and another is running it on 8psi of boost . I have the best tuner in florida, timing was at 10* and afr was 11.2-11.3 the whole way untill 5k rpms. Those who have owned blown cars know that if anything is weak or not dine right it will let go. Musclemerc will be happy to let you swap the motor again and leave timing cover bolts loose and and bad seals on the valve cover. I did this swap more as a favor than anything else i make more money doing working on local cars so be my guess to destroy another engine with your great work.
Enough said

Gunner

May 29, 2012
I don't know. when I get the info, i'll pass it on.

Yes had plenty of fuel. GT pump and BAP.

I don't think it had anthing to do plugs or anything. The motor was just tired. It was meant to be.

Were there any gaskets or seals replaced on your stock valve covers, plug holes etc when musclemerc changed your motor out? I just don't see how the motor wouldn't take such little timing,boost and a good a/f ratio. What other mods were done to your motor before Landy installed your s/c kit?

musclemerc

Addict
Jan 6, 2010
Here we go. When i changed the plugs to tr6 that were gapped at .35 there was no signs of oil on the boot. I pay close attention to detail. One thing is runinng the car n/a and another is running it on 8psi of boost . I have the best tuner in florida, timing was at 10* and afr was 11.2-11.3 the whole way untill 5k rpms. Those who have owned blown cars know that if anything is weak or not dine right it will let go. Musclemerc will be happy to let you swap the motor again and leave timing cover bolts loose and and bad seals on the valve cover. I did this swap more as a favor than anything else i make more money doing working on local cars so be my guess to destroy another engine with your great work.
Enough said

I installed the motor in David's car a full year ago. Its been from Mississippi to Florida and back to Mississippi several times since. You pulled the plugs and admit to seeing no oil on them. What am I missing here?

For the record Landy, David bought the motor complete from oil pan to intake. I had no reason to remove the timing cover. So any loose bolts on the timing cover didnt come from my end. I do know some of the timing cover bolts had to be removed and replace to bolt up the centri. Maybe you missed a few? IDK I wasnt there. :dunno:

BTW you owe Randy O'Dell (onMM.net) an apology. He and I are NOT the same guy. I have no desire to post on MM.net under a fake identity. I have way too many things to do with my spare time.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Just for the record, it doesn't sound like anyone is to 'blame'
Everything I have read adds up to plain bad luck.

LANDY said the tuner used 10 degrees of timing for the first pull and the mess still happened.
Chalk it up to bad luck and move on.

MMBLUE

Regular
Apr 27, 2011
Just for the record, it doesn't sound like anyone is to 'blame'
Everything I have read adds up to plain bad luck.

LANDY said the tuner used 10 degrees of timing for the first pull and the mess still happened.
Chalk it up to bad luck and move on.

That's what I say. Drop the subject. It was meant to go and just shit luck. I like and enjoy both of you as my friends : )

If you wanna play ya gotta pay...... that's the price of dealing with a mechanical engine. It's just that, mechanical and bound to break.

Mods- please lock thread. Thank you !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info