Genv install

Xtant12

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm stuck. I got the old charger off and I can not figure out how to get the intercooler detached from the lower intake. I can see long holes where I'm assuming screws are holding it in, but nothing is grabbing. I have the zzp full size on the gen 3 motor. Anyone know how I can get this off?

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Who put it on? They most likely rtv'd it and that's what's holding it down now, there are no screws that hold it down after the blower is off, but depending the the quantity of rtv you will probably need to pry it off

Xtant12

Reaction score
Who put it on? They most likely rtv'd it and that's what's holding it down now, there are no screws that hold it down after the blower is off, but depending the the quantity of rtv you will probably need to pry it off
Ron Vogel installed it back in 2010 for me. Are you sure because I can see deep holes and I gave it some force and this thing didn't move at all. If your saying that the ic is held to the lower intake I'll pry it off but I want to be sure I'm understanding you correctly.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
The deep holes are the ones the blower bolts should go through down into the lower intake, that or possibly the two halfs of the core use bolts to hold them together, I've never had to split one before, but yeah I'm betting he used a paper gasket and rtv to hold it down or just rtv, on my own stuff I rtv it and it's a bitch to take back off, you can text me some pics of the holes your talking about if you want but I'm 99.99% it's just rtv holding l it down and your going to have to pry it pretty hard if he used a lot of it, I've gouged the lower intake pretty good taking off intercooler cores that were rtv'd down if you get lucky he used a gasket and just rtv on both sides of it and it will rip the paper gasket apart making it easier to take off but a lot more clean up

Xtant12

Reaction score
Let's be clear, I am not an installer. With that being said, holy cap I can't believe how many things I had to remove to get the ic and lower intake out. Antifreeze everywhere, 2 bent prybar but I was successful. Tomorrow I plan to try to put everything g back on with the genV. And I have to replace a few ic lines. I got frustrated! Can anyone show me where the aluminum elbows go??

Xtant12

Reaction score
Well guys, Valiant effort but total fail. The car pisses antifreeze from the drivers side lower intake manifold. The baby will be here tuesday so the car will be down for a long time. I can't spend anymore time on this. Is there any 3800 installers around that could fix this for me?

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've had the LIM off a 3800, but in some of those pictures it looks like there is coolant in places where I don't remember there being coolant. I'll let someone more experienced confirm.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how/why it could be leaking if you used the right gaskets. Just take it apart and put it back together using new gaskets, it shouldn't take but 1-2hrs max. Also, did you clean that coolant out of the valley and pour some oil down there to flush it out? If not, change the oil a couple times to make sure you don't have coolant mixing in. A spun bearing would suck ass.

Xtant12

Reaction score
It is leaking from the drivers side very front of the of the lower intake. I used the metal gaskets from zzp.

No I did not pour oil in anything. I didn't know you were supposed to do that.

Xtant12

Reaction score
Also, I did not start the car. It just leaks from when I fill the radiator.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Well you didn't tighten something, cause if you used the metal GM gaskets in manifold shouldn't be leaking. Just do like I said, take it apart and put it back together with new gaskets. Make sure you're putting in those "hidden" screws in the intake manifold, part of me wants to say you might have forgotten one. And when you get it off, get that coolant out of the valley so it doesn't get in the oil, and then run it (assuming you fixed the leaks) for 5-8min and change the oil again. Get some shit brand oil so you're not wasting expensive oil.

b4black

Reaction score
Did you mess with the coolant temp sender or thermostat? That's right in the location you are talking about.

Thermostat uses different gaskets depending on year. It's often harder to get it to seal than it should be.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
Reaction score
Pro tip: Use a shop vac and suck all the coolant out of the radiator and engine before taking anything apart on the engine. Put the vacuum hose right in the radiator neck or take the thermostat housing out and and suck all the coolant right out of the lower intake. Works great and it will keep spilled coolant to a min. Take the filter out of the shop vac before use or it will she soaked in coolant.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pro tip: Use a shop vac and suck all the coolant out of the radiator and engine before taking anything apart on the engine. Put the vacuum hose right in the radiator neck or take the thermostat housing out and and suck all the coolant right out of the lower intake. Works great and it will keep spilled coolant to a min. Take the filter out of the shop vac before use or it will she soaked in coolant.
That's what I always did. Never had coolant in the valley. Did you follow the gospel of James and clean up all the mating surfaces with some fresh razor blades before putting new gaskets on?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom