Genesis Getting Awards But Not Sales

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
This is not a entirely a Genesis perception problem. It’s a market problem of the Genesis lineup entirely being made of sedans, which in general aren’t selling as well as utility vehicles. Having to buy one from the same dealer that sells the Accent might be hurting them a little, though :rofl: Stand-alone Genesis dealers are supposed to be coming soon, but have been a mixed message there.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
That probably didn't help matters either. Throwing the name on a gussied up old lackluster Tiburon... Brand dilution.

There’s a difference between the Brand “Genesis” and a Hyundai Genesis. Genesis itself as a new brand is coming out with new models and not trying to associate with Hyundai (although they are doing it extremely slowly).

Agreed that the Hyundai Genesis coupe ( and former Hyundai Genesis sedan) is obviously still a Hyundai. I think consumers are going to be all sorts of confused making that differentiation.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
They aren't, no matter Hyundai's efforts, going to cross shop a BMW 7 series or Mercedes S-Class with a Hyundai Genesis. The 3 people buying Hyundai Genesis's are those who WANT to a 7 series or S-Class, but are on a beer budget.

Not exactly the right cars to choose as comparison, the 7 series starts at $85k and the S class is ~$95k. Of course nobody is cross-shopping cars that cost $40-50k more.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Not exactly the right cars to choose as comparison, the 7 series starts at $85k and the S class is ~$95k. Of course nobody is cross-shopping cars that cost $40-50k more.

This proves my point that people have no idea lol.

In fact those ARE the G90's competitors. That's who Genesis is trying to steal market share from and undercut, they are just doing a bad job at it (not from a product stand point but a awareness one). Just because you personally aren't cross shopping them doesn't mean other people aren't. It's naive to think otherwise.

The G90 is competing with the S class, 7 series, A8, Lincoln Continental, Lexus LS, and Cadillac CT6.

Short google search:

Motortrend just did a comparo article: BMW 740e vs. Lexus LS 500 vs. Genesis G90 3.3T vs. Lincoln Continental 3.0 - Motor Trend

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/11/2017-genesis-g90-luxury-can-play-competition/

The Genesis G90 is a luxurious opening act for the new brand

The G80 is a little smaller and competes with the 5 series, Audi A6, Lexus GS...

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
There’s a difference between the Brand “Genesis” and a Hyundai Genesis. Genesis itself as a new brand is coming out with new models and not trying to associate with Hyundai (although they are doing it extremely slowly).

Agreed that the Hyundai Genesis coupe ( and former Hyundai Genesis sedan) is obviously still a Hyundai. I think consumers are going to be all sorts of confused making that differentiation.

I understand that. But the general buying public may not. All they see is "Genesis". They don't care whether it's a specific model or a brand.

You serious Clark?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
If you want to appeal to the BMW/Mercedes people, you need to appear upscale. Genesis is failing at that so far. IMO, dealers don't want to open up dealerships for a brand that sells less than 10K cars of each of its models per year.

I think Hyundai needs to use existing dealers to, at least temporarily add a new "Genesis" building and more upscale sales and service in a corner of its Hyundai/Kia lots.

Maybe completely separate dealerships can come around once sales are high enough to support them.

I think there are plenty of rich types who would like to save some money IF the prestige factor is there. For the time being, BMW wannabes with less money will buy the Hyundais new and the smart people will buy them after they take the leaving the lot price hit.

Who cares if a car is used when it was used by a 65 y.o. who never took it past half throttle? Genesi are the same as new Vettes. Often owned by Seniors and driven slowly and carefully.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
This proves my point that people have no idea lol.

In fact those ARE the G90's competitors. That's who Genesis is trying to steal market share from and undercut, they are just doing a bad job at it (not from a product stand point but a awareness one). Just because you personally aren't cross shopping them doesn't mean other people aren't. It's naive to think otherwise.

The G90 is competing with the S class, 7 series, A8, Lincoln Continental, Lexus LS, and Cadillac CT6.

Short google search:

Motortrend just did a comparo article: BMW 740e vs. Lexus LS 500 vs. Genesis G90 3.3T vs. Lincoln Continental 3.0 - Motor Trend

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/11/2017-genesis-g90-luxury-can-play-competition/

The Genesis G90 is a luxurious opening act for the new brand

The G80 is a little smaller and competes with the 5 series, Audi A6, Lexus GS...

I understand that. But the general buying public may not. All they see is "Genesis". They don't care whether it's a specific model or a brand.

You serious Clark?
Holy crap lol, i literally did not know a G90 existed. I was thinking G80 vs 7 series vs S class. I'd say i failed hard, but really I couldn't care less about Hyundai pretending to be able to compete with german luxo-barges.

Idoma

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Jun 13, 2012
Plainfield
What exactly is amazing about the genesis coupe? My wife had an R-spec and honestly I thought it was pretty lackluster. Always felt heavy and didn’t have a good ride.

The g80 is amazing and shouldn’t even be compared to the coupe though

What made the Genesis coupe amazing was basically seeing how far they had come from their meager beginnings. My wife previous car was a piece of shit 1st generation Sonata and it was a nightmare and I was very against buying another Hyundai. But as the saying goes, "Happy wife, Happy life" I agreed to at least have a open mind and looked into the car and I was pleasantly surprised after doing quite a bit of research, hence the "amazing" comment. Its not like she wanted a racecar or anything but she did really like the body style and I just didn't want another headache. Now for the new Genesis sedans, I wasn't comparing the G80 or G90 to the coupe. I am just saying that they are quite attractive and worth it, at least in my opinion, and will be a welcome next addition. :smile:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info