🔧 BUILD Gav's 1998 Purple Z28

General Information

[MENTION=3307]IceCreamAssassin[/MENTION] mentioned in my GoPro thread that he didn't know much about my car.
[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] also mentioned it's one of the longest owned cars on the site.

Why not make a thread.

I bought the car on September 13th 2002 ( it was a Friday :s00ls: )
37,642 miles when it was driven away from Grossinger Chevy in Palatine.

I had originally called on a red 99 SS but the dealer sold it before I could get there. The salesman mentioned they took a Z28 in on trade. I asked what color and he said " It's weird, never seen this color before, It's Purple."

I requested they park the car in the back and not to let anyone see it until I got there :rofl:

I drove it a couple days later, and bought it the following week.

I have alot of pictures saved on a flash drive from my old laptop, but here's what it looked like in all of it's STOCK Z28 glory:

1688935984063.png

Menzerna1012.jpg

Sub frame connectors and a strut tower brace were the first couple mods.
Followed by a lid, SSRA and smooth bellow.

Long Tube headers and a cut out went in the summer of 2004

To make a long story short, a few friends had SS's and kind of swapped wheels around, so I detailed a friends car and was paid with a set of painted SS 10 spokes ( again more pics on the flash drive ):

HPIM0766.jpg

HPIM0762.jpg

HPIM0761.jpg

Yank SS3200 stall + B&M cooler followed shortly after in 2005.

another friend had a WS-6, I told him if he ever sold the wheels, I wanted 1st dibs... and those are the ones the car currently rides on:

HPIM0910.jpg

with new brakes:
HPIM1093-1.jpg

Cam + pushrods + valve springs etc went in summer of 2008.

Changed the turn signal lenses:

HPIM1091.jpg

Z28-208.jpg

Z28-308.jpg

The rear end was rebuilt in 2011, new axles 3.73 gears and diff cover.
I installed a new TA girdle this past spring.

I just ordered a bunch of suspension parts to freshen up the 20 year old "bones and joints"

:bigthumb:

with a fresh coat of WG Uber Ceramic Coating:

20161029_185422_zpssef7cisf.jpg

20170303_170619_zpsmrblukcx.jpg
Reactions: SlowSS

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Bumpers are getting dropped off for paint on Monday. Grill gets dropped off for powdercoating.
Lots of cleaning..... Yes, I will be cleaning areas unseen and never to be seen again. But I will take pictures for documentation ( DEEZUZ DEEZUZ likes this ).

I will post before and after pictures of the bumpers, just nagging eye sores that I'm tired of looking at.
As Matt from Obsessed Garage would say. I'm dialing it in.

More posts to follow, I just used the super fancy TCG photo uploader for the 2 pictures instead of making an imgur album

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I was gonna guess relocating a washer pump.
yeah, no. Not that fancy for this one.

Are you going to polish and ceramic coat behind the tail lights and bumper?
Everything will be cleaned and coated. If there are areas where there may be clear, yes, polished and coated.
no joke, for reals

It actually gets VERY dirty behind any Camaro tail lights
Yep. The inside of the rear bumper is real dirty. The body shop will take care of that. But I will be cleaning everything and anything I can reach. I'm actually looking forward to using the 1" polisher on the "CAMARO" panel.

Thats unacceptable

:angrys00ls:

Reactions: Shawn1112

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Well, front bumper is done and on the car. I will be wet sanding any dust nibs and polishing. Coating has to wait 30 days so I will probably leave the grill off for now.
but
The a rear bumper is on order. Shop said that the stress cracks were apparent after spraying the sealer. I guess I won't know for sure. The cost of a new GM bumper + paint is only a little more $ than refinishing the existing bumper. It's only money. I'm just bummed that its going to be nice this weekend and I was hoping to have the car back together.

?

Thread Info