🔧 BUILD Gav's 1998 Purple Z28

General Information

[MENTION=3307]IceCreamAssassin[/MENTION] mentioned in my GoPro thread that he didn't know much about my car.
[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] also mentioned it's one of the longest owned cars on the site.

Why not make a thread.

I bought the car on September 13th 2002 ( it was a Friday :s00ls: )
37,642 miles when it was driven away from Grossinger Chevy in Palatine.

I had originally called on a red 99 SS but the dealer sold it before I could get there. The salesman mentioned they took a Z28 in on trade. I asked what color and he said " It's weird, never seen this color before, It's Purple."

I requested they park the car in the back and not to let anyone see it until I got there :rofl:

I drove it a couple days later, and bought it the following week.

I have alot of pictures saved on a flash drive from my old laptop, but here's what it looked like in all of it's STOCK Z28 glory:

1688935984063.png

Menzerna1012.jpg

Sub frame connectors and a strut tower brace were the first couple mods.
Followed by a lid, SSRA and smooth bellow.

Long Tube headers and a cut out went in the summer of 2004

To make a long story short, a few friends had SS's and kind of swapped wheels around, so I detailed a friends car and was paid with a set of painted SS 10 spokes ( again more pics on the flash drive ):

HPIM0766.jpg

HPIM0762.jpg

HPIM0761.jpg

Yank SS3200 stall + B&M cooler followed shortly after in 2005.

another friend had a WS-6, I told him if he ever sold the wheels, I wanted 1st dibs... and those are the ones the car currently rides on:

HPIM0910.jpg

with new brakes:
HPIM1093-1.jpg

Cam + pushrods + valve springs etc went in summer of 2008.

Changed the turn signal lenses:

HPIM1091.jpg

Z28-208.jpg

Z28-308.jpg

The rear end was rebuilt in 2011, new axles 3.73 gears and diff cover.
I installed a new TA girdle this past spring.

I just ordered a bunch of suspension parts to freshen up the 20 year old "bones and joints"

:bigthumb:

with a fresh coat of WG Uber Ceramic Coating:

20161029_185422_zpssef7cisf.jpg

20170303_170619_zpsmrblukcx.jpg
Reactions: SlowSS

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Glad to see you got it sorted out. VE tables are going to affect driveability more than power. Should feel much better.

I wasn't surprised when I was informed that the HP was still around 350. Knowing the car is running better is a wonderful feeling.

thanks guys, I'm glad to have this project almost in the rear view :gears:

Reactions: boostedguy05

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Went to "pick up" Barney yesterday. A short test drive ( yes... streets were somewhat dry and not too salty ) felt great. Gas pedal was modified/ repaired = feels like normal.
The idle is better and the reverse lock out it night and day from the modified spring.

Following the trailer home:
sVFfznC.jpg

Thanks to Blackdog for the transportation :
nnEhWgy.jpg

And being unloaded:

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
We are still early in the hero phase. I hope all is well though, everything appears to be better for sure.

White glove transport fo sho, heated trailer? ?

I wouldnt say early... Early would have been the first set of pictures before any repair or repairs were complete.
The car is done and home and everything checks out.

With that said, no gloves were worn and I don't think it was heated :trump:

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I have about 10 or 12 videos that have done really well.... like 25K views and up. They are detail oriented.
I don't see many views on the Barney specific videos ( some of the detail videos only get 100-250 views too ). 1 viewer commented on the dyno video saying I should use the car for more content.
Not sure if he has seen some of my IG posts but he said the reason he found the channel is because the car is Bright Purple Metallic.

Since I don't have plans for any mods as of now and I can only "detail" it so much... I'm not sure if having the car in more videos will help the channel.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I've always debated this.... My wife has work IG and posts an irregular amount of personal stuff on there. She insists that people want to see it and the experts say you should. I will say when I follow channels sometimes I am okay with it and sometimes I think its just showing off, random, or just down right unrelated.

I think your use of Barney has been minimal, as you pointed out, and it is somewhat related so its probably good and that's why I was curious. I guess since your data is so up and down it really proves nothing though. LOL

Thread Info