Site Sponsor Gav Details v. RAM TRX

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Thanks to SRT41320 SRT41320 for the referral.

I admit, I did not get the year of the truck. roughly 9400 miles on the odometer, 2nd owner. The current owner likes to keep his truck clean and it was recently washed when I arrived. Silver is a tough color to photograph with bright LED fixtures and a 4 year old cell phone. But, Let's see how this goes.

• WASH: McKee's N-914 rinseless wash
  • CLAY: Nanoskin handy towel ( the truck had minimal contamination so I used the rinseless solution as the clay lubricant )
  • WHEELS/TIRES: P&S Brake Buster via iK Foam Pro 1.5, EZ detail brush for the barrels, Tuf Shine brush for the tires, MF mitt for wheel faces.
  • POLISH: Milwaukee M18 cordless 15mm, PC7424XP ( 3 " ) and Rupes iBrid Nano ( 1" ). Menzerna FG400, Menzerna 2400 and Sonax Perfect Finish ( I will call out certain products as the pictures as posted ).
  • GLASS: Prepped with CarPro Eraser and an application Nextzett Glass Sealant ( all glass including the panoramic sun/moonroof )
  • PAINT: Prepped with CarPro Eraser, Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light ( Note, the textured bed cover received CSL as well )
  • PLASTICS: Prepped with CarPro Eraser, Gtechniq Exo V4
  • MISC: Wheels were touched up with P&S Beadmaker and the tires were dressed with Meguiar's Hyper Dressing 3:1

Detailer's note: Doesn't Gtechniq have a trim coating ? Yes. What about CarPro DLux for trim ? Both are great options. Yes, I have used both. My thought process behind using the Exo V4 ( top coat for CSL and CSU ) is the painted surfaces around them. Exo is formulated to be a top coat. If during the application process to say, the bed rail caps or the fender flares, some of the Exo gets on the paint, it can be wiped off with ZERO ill effects. I apply CSL to the paint and then follow up with the Exo for the plastics / trim. Can you use CSL for the plastics and trim ? Yes.
I do not like to cross contaminate the applicators or the removal towels when working on different surfaces. Overkill ? Maybe but that's my opinion.

I know Shawn1112 Shawn1112 will want to know: Arrival just before 8am, after some discussion, work started around 8:15 or so. Done and just about packed up at 4:30. Don't get me wrong, this truck is BIG. I needed a 6' ladder in order to properly apply the glass and paint coatings to the roof because I could not fully reach using my painters platform. But, since the paint was overall in great condition and the truck was CLEAN to begin with, jobs like this go smoothly. I continue to perfect my process, efficiency is the goal.

On to the goods:

One of the few concerns were some scratches on the hood. They were light but seem to have been caused by some downward force. This results in an indentation if that makes sense.

To the top right of the light:

ljNoJBF.jpg

To the left of the light:

Shlt4oz.jpg

To the left and above of the light:

fL2Cxcs.jpg

Washed, dried, cracks and crevices blown dry:

Next concern was the passenger bed side. The owner, Dave, searched TRX forums and some guys reported poor paint jobs. When parking the truck outside, he would always see a cloudy spot.

Look at the center of the light, notice the haze ? In person it looks like cloudy orange peel. I suspected some form of clear coat over spray:

WVx8FvN.jpg

In this picture, look at the red ring around the scangrip light reflection, hazy:

wbni1tJ.jpg

Again, here @ the round light:

liv55Il.jpg

The bottom of the truck is painted metallic black. Not sure if it is the official Brilliant black crystal that Dodge/Jeep and RAM uses but I was happy to see that that lower sections were not the scracth-o-matic piano black plastic:

Passenger side:

Rde8pjJ.jpg

kFgCDjW.jpg

Driver front door, ouch ( I suspect the dealer or another 'shop' used extra pressure to remove some form of debris. I noticed a couple spots of what I assume to be road paint under the driver mirror and a couple specks on the RAM emblem on the driver door ):

AatFbHA.jpg

3fAQcuQ.jpg

ncp8jWM.jpg

All of the following pictures are after the coatings were applied. I will specify defect removal for trouble spots. The balance of the truck was polished with the all 3 machines, yellow rupes polishing pads and Sonax Perfect Finish.

Bed side polished with the PC + 3" UroFiber 50/50 pad + Menzerna 2400, followed with the Milwaukee + 5" Rupes yellow polishing pad and Sonax perfect finish:

JklwhSt.jpg

Hood scratches polished with the PC + 3" Lake country MF cutting pad + Menzerna FG400, followed with the Milwuakee + 5" Rupes yellow polishing pad and perfect finish:

FIcRRLt.jpg

9jxFpMD.jpg

6Y5t4UP.jpg

The black sections were polished with the PC + Rupes yellow/medium wool pad + Menzerna 2400 followed with the yellow foam and PF ( Note the driver door needed Menzerna FG400 for deeper swirl removal )

ruRpobE.jpg

PRRFKQ1.jpg

yyJjGFH.jpg

Driver front door, I did not want to compound it to death, so a couple deeper marks remain. Overall, much better:

Vo4LLGj.jpg

rkfgiib.jpg

wYrq94R.jpg

YT1ow61.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Due to the shop and truck positioning, full side after shots were not easy to come by.

1703449204920.png

jvG2Lhx.jpg

PWLZcGw.jpg

QQto80z.jpg

90Q0RAl.jpg

rg1KwTQ.jpg

4Z3LFbM.jpg

4jelInF.jpg

SDjgBnn.jpg

Xbbrau2.jpg

Gzaplof.jpg

5twC1H0.jpg

7R8jc4R.jpg

hLaTpjj.jpg

aDlas25.jpg

g3upv7k.jpg

oy0YOvY.jpg

t4cgUGC.jpg

oJTB4XA.jpg

u2SgOGo.jpg

JbwzwUr.jpg

imiS6Rn.jpg

ViPs09O.jpg

wnHbibv.jpg

Thanks again to SRT41320 SRT41320 for the word of mouth business and thanks to Dave for trusting me with this amazing machine.
Oh, and the outward facing surface of the mudflaps were coated in Exo V4 as well !

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Awesome work as usual Gav. I have a few questions though.
How are you rinsing the PS brake buster off and do you re-wash after the clay?
No iron remover needed?
I use rinseless wash in the bucket for the brushes and mitt, so the brake buster gets watered down and diluted that way.
I use rinseless wash or straight water in the solo sprayer to 'rinse' and then I blow dry.
I had iron remover with me but there were no deposits on the truck
Plus, it would have stunk up the shop therefore I'm glad I did not have to use it

Reactions: Shawn1112

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Looks awesome, great work Gav!
Thanks Jim !

Awesome work as usual Gav. I have a few questions though.
How are you rinsing the PS brake buster off and do you re-wash after the clay?
No iron remover needed?
Thank you !

So fucking good! I need to call you in spring for some work man. Good shit as always!
Thank you and you know the number :fy:

Damn dude, nice!
Thank you thank you
Classic Film Bow GIF by Warner Archive

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Came out great! And Dave hasn't texted me yet to bitch about anything like he usually does, so he must be happy!

Looking through the post for grammatical errors, I noticed the passenger side, front side lower bed molding is dirty underneath. WTF, so if he does contact you about it, then tell him I will stop by one day and correct that.
But, no news is good news
Heart Attack Close Call GIF by reactionseditor

Reactions: SRT41320

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Came out great!
Thank you !

GaV you always so top notch work
Thanks man.

Impressive work!

Thanks !

Man this is nuts. One day when I have a vehicle worthy of detailing to this extent, this will become one of the tasks I pay someone (and by someone i mean Gav) to do. Lol. That attention to detail is awesome.

Thank you. Can't wait to see what said vehicle ends up being.

Detailer's note:
I contacted the owner about the molding that I missed. I will be rectifying this on Saturday AM.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info