Site Sponsor Gav Details V. it's a Jeep thing

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
It's been a while, let's see if I remember how to do this.

Rodger ( SRT41320 SRT41320 ) repaired a minor albeit nagging exhaust issue on Barney. While at the shop he asked about detailing his Jeep.
A couple weeks later and Done-ski.

With the fall temps and working 'on-site' the only real option was a rinseless wash. Call me old fashioned but there's something about a 2 bucket wash with a quality car shampoo. Yvan Lacroix explains how soap and water is 'old' technology and rinseless washing is faster and safer. Well, I still prefer the old school method if I had my choice.

On to the goods:

Pre-soak: GTechniq W-5 Citrus APC Diluted 1:15 in an iK Foam Pro 1.5 ( lower panels, tires and wheel wells )
Wash: McKee's N-914 rinseless wash and a MF mitt.
Clay: The McKee's could have been used as a lubricant but I opted for an extra safe approach and used Nano skin Glide and a Nano skin handy towel
Dry: MF waffle weave towel and Sidekick blaster
Wheels and tires: P&S Brake Buster diluted 1:7 in an iK Foam Pro 1.5. I though he had different wheels so I brought the small daytona wheel brush, 1 small wheel woolie and a black boar's hair brush. Tires were scrubbed with a Tuf Shine tire brush

After the wash, I inspected the paint. The upper sections were not too bad but the lower sections and tailgate were going to need some work.
Machines used: Milwaukee M18 15mm Dual action polisher, Porter Cable 7424XP for 3" pads and Rupes Nano iBrid for 1" pads.
I opted to use the Milwaukee instead of the corded Rupes LHR15 because it allowed me to have 1 machine plugged in and 2 battery operated machines. I think this helped the flow.
After some test sections, I decided on a 5" Orange Lake Country polishing pad, 3" Yellow Rupes polishing pad and 1" Yellow Rupes polishing pad.
Polish: 2 'dots' of Menzerna 2400 and 2 'dots' of Menzerna 3500. 2400 added a bit of cut the the 3500. I'm told the vehicle will still see the car wash so all out paint perfection was not the goal.
Side Note: After using the above combo on the tailgate, I was not happy with the results. In order to make the paint 'uniform' the tailgate was compounded using Menzerna FG400 and a LC MF cutting pad followed by Menzerna 3500 and a yellow polishing pad.

The glass, paint and plastics were prepped with CarPro Eraser.
The glass received NextZett Glass Sealant
The paint was coated with GTechniq Crystal Serum Light ( this includes the Back Flip bed cover )
Fender flares, mirrors, bumpers ( textured plastic ) were coated with GTechniq Exo V4.

The wheels were wiped down with P&S Beadmaker
The tires still had a sheen from the previous tire dressing. Even though Hyper Dressing does not sling, We agreed to hold off on dressing the tires while the coating cured.
Hyper dressing was applied to the wheel well liners.

I think that should be it.

Pictures:

Wheels before
1703449083024.png

Right Front wheel well before:
WzSBOgH.jpg

Hood before, still dirty, minor swirls
JPsRXDo.jpg

Door before
x0uraIB.jpg

Passenger bedside before
e4R1Z8f.jpg

Right rear wheel well before
98QJpli.jpg

Wash and Clay done
jsQsGxA.jpg

I made a list so that I did not forget anything. I think it's all here
o2Y25ST.jpg

After polishing
Ysc7k5w.jpg

The 1" machine worked great around the tail light
jJVxCj8.jpg

Tailgate before
jclJR8O.jpg

Driver side front roof panel polished and coated
jxNcfUI.jpg

Passenger front door coated ( some swirls remain and lint from the coating removal towels )
XVnJEDd.jpg

Hood coated
6gRXsg2.jpg

71XG0cj.jpg

Passenger side coated ( before wheel well dressing )
HQ0tYmc.jpg

Tailgate after ( the LED light at close range gives the appearance of haze from polishing )
7Qg9I1A.jpg

fODJjRX.jpg

Some minor deeper swirls remain on the lower section of the front door
X5F4ae5.jpg

HUbgDT4.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Nice work as always Gav.
I used if not the same combo or a very similar combo of "Menzerna FG400 and a LC MF cutting pad followed by Menzerna 3500 and a yellow polishing pad" on my buddies black Wrangler a few years back. It also came out really good.
Thank you sir !
I have Sonax Cutmax and Perfect finish but only in smaller bottles that have been used. I wanted to make sure I had enough product so back to ole reliable Menzerna.

Great work Gav!
Thank you sir !

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info