Site Sponsor Gav Details v. Greasy's Hellcat

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
greasy greasy reached out to me about giving the Gato from Hell a once over. He touched up some rock chips and went the extra mile to wet sand the areas.

The color is hard to capture with a cell phone ( I don't have Mook Mook like skills ) and the bright LED lighting probably doesn't help. Oh well, in order to achieve detailing results, you need good/bright lighting.

With that said, I will outline my process and for a change, will post some before and after pictures back to back. Some random afters to follow.

Rinseless wash with P&S Absolute
Jim's car is super clean so no clay/decon necessary

1st attempt at removing sanding marks on the hood - Jescar Correction Compound and a Rupes medium wool pad. It's best to start with a less aggressive 'test' spot and adjust from there.
The final compounding duo - Menzerna FG400 + Lake Country MF cutting pads ( mostly 3" ).
The Rupes Nano iBrid was used with the rotary function for some tight spots - 1" Rupes blue wool pad + Menzerna FG400
The entire car was polished with Menzerna 3500 + Yellow rupes polishing pad ( 1", 3" and 5" )
Panel prep - CarPro Eraser
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant applied via 3" black finishing pad
Exterior windows were cleaned with McKee's N914 @ the Waterless Wash dilution
Fancy spoiler received a wipe down with McKee's Matte detailer
Tires were already dressed. Wheels were cleaned with the leftover rinseless wash.

This is what Jim Sent me:
1703448659391.png

Jim did compound and polish the passenger side front corner of the hood.

3R7zAEl.jpg

RcvUvpe.jpg

NzrsyhY.jpg

uT96UlE.jpg

TZ3aCRm.jpg

kvHxVF1.jpg

A few stray swirls:
ZQhI72O.jpg

omrPNLi.jpg

7rWNoII.jpg

k9F4Slh.jpg

h9DJ1WN.jpg

4z7zHxk.jpg

Passenger side of the hood, near the cowl:

jULts8N.jpg

u9eAaHR.jpg

QYx3hj4.jpg

9Nhwa57.jpg

The front bumper took several passes to remove the sanding scratches. Cutting on plastic/fiberglass parts is always a bit nerve racking:

LMMsThw.jpg

SoVCzXH.jpg

I guess I did not take a specific after of this area but will post a finished hood shot:

9KPhlrj.jpg

With that corner cut off #fail
PdQwTzz.jpg

With the obligatory finger tip #doublefail
nz0V8zq.jpg

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Gav'sPurpleZ Gav'sPurpleZ did a fucking awesome job, car looks phenomenal! I will say though all of his ketchup was clashing with my mustard in the garage! ?

Wait, didnt he have a matte black wrap on the hood? Is he doing this to sell it? Either way, it looks fucking awesome.

I did have it wrapped at one point because of the asteroid hit. The wrap was not holding up to washing, it was looking weird. I decided to remove it. It looks better without it as some of you said in the beginning.

greasy greasy you keeping it now?

Sure as shit torn, but she must go. It’ll be bitter sweet. Love the car, it’s a blast to drive, but I want a house and another project car. There’s nothing really more to do on her.

Amazing work Gav!

Does that orange have some metallic or pearl in it?

Yeah, what happened to the black hood?

Yeah the orange has a lot of depth to it, it especially comes out in the sun!

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
greasy greasy do u have pics of the chips before you touched them up? By the way the car looks great after gavs did his magic. I’m glad you are spending the money to make it close to perfect and I hope you keep it.

I don’t, I was disgusted with the car and all of the chips. Literally 90% of those chips came from the fall cruise we did, it was brutal.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I don’t, I was disgusted with the car and all of the chips. Literally 90% of those chips came from the fall cruise we did, it was brutal.

That’s what I figured they came from driving in a group of cars for long periods of time. Jasons05gt was all over me if I’m putting plastic over the paint of my gt500. I said nope Im good I drive towards the county when I go to work. My 02-03 are pretty much both perfect I had my bird all filled in when I bought it on the bumper and hood and it still looks great after owning it for this long.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Gav'sPurpleZ Gav'sPurpleZ if you have the ability to shoot in RAW format, you can capture the orange much better. My DSLR photos from the fall cruise nailed the color. By default the compressed JPG images restrict the color gamut, and “guess” what the color should be, then picks what it thinks is closest. RAW doesn’t have that restriction, and good photo software will do the JPG conversion more accurately.

Also, goes without saying, fanfuckingtastic work!

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Gav'sPurpleZ Gav'sPurpleZ if you have the ability to shoot in RAW format, you can capture the orange much better. My DSLR photos from the fall cruise nailed the color. By default the compressed JPG images restrict the color gamut, and “guess” what the color should be, then picks what it thinks is closest. RAW doesn’t have that restriction, and good photo software will do the JPG conversion more accurately.

Also, goes without saying, fanfuckingtastic work!

Does a 4 year old Pixel 3 have the capability of shooting raw ? If so, I do not know where to find the setting. As for attempting photos with my Panasonic Lumix, I doubt they would look better :rofl:
And thank you

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info